Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Inexpensive bike support
Almost anything that securely holds the bike far enough from the wall will work as well, such as ladder hooks: http://www.lifeandhome.com/large-ladder-hook-8-mm.html - about a buck a piece or available in almost any hardware store. They can be used with either exposed studs or on the studs of a finished wall. the 16" between studs is convenient for hanging from the top tube. That is an old low cost solution, as is attaching two ends of a rope from the rafter or eye hooks in a garage and passing them under the seat and handlebars - that was my first "bike stand."
I hang my bicycles upside down from bike hooks screwed into beams in my garage. When I want to work on a bike I just throw a rope over the hook it has a loop at one end that I thread the other end through and adjust height, like lasso.
Never Give Up!!!
1. Blunt Impact/Force
2. Heat
3. Relief Cuts
4.Rock the bolt
5.Drill'er out
5.Drill'er out
7. Air Hammer/Chisel
8. Bolt or screw extractor
9. Pipe Wrench
10. Reinstall bolts that surround the stuck bolt/nut
(11-23-2014, 11:06 AM)JanJ Wrote:  Actually, I give my wife credit for this one....

I was discussing having access to something to hold bike up as service is done to it.......  And she came up with a fantastic, and low cost solution....

Since I'm doing the work in the basement, she pointed at something we are presently using  in the garage to store garden hose during the winter:   2 adjustable floor joist hooks:
http://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=18019

and some heavy rubber straps...  Holds the hose quite securely.
Tried it in basement with bikes..  

Positioned 2 on joists where I needed support:  2 Straps hook to these: one under rear seat frame junctions and  other at handlebars/headset, and bike is held up with rubber straps!

Been using it for recent bike services quite successfully... Fantastic Idea!
I can hand crank the bike quite vigorously and have no stability issues whatsoever!    
And when I'm done, I take it down, and there is nothing left hanging from -the floor rafters!!  

Smile!

Got a pic for us?
"Where ever we go, there we are"
I do like threads like these, some great ideas that I am sure work good for a low volume user. Hard to beat a shop quality stand in my book. I use a floor stand, bench mount, and a wall mount units. plus I use one of the most over looked stands that many people already own. The ole' Fluid/mag trainer holds the bike quite nicely for many tasks.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-11-2015, 10:51 AM)painkiller Wrote:  I do like threads like these, some great ideas that I am sure work good for a low volume user. Hard to beat a shop quality stand in my book. I use a floor stand, bench mount, and a wall mount units. plus I use one of the most over looked stands that many people already own. The ole' Fluid/mag trainer holds the bike quite nicely for many tasks.

It also gives you a test bed with some resistance for testing adjustments. Until recently I was hanging the bike from the ceiling with a soft rope,worked fine for what I am doing. Recently got a floor stand and man is that nice!
Bill
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

This one is a good idea. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Possibly Related Threads...