Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Looking for a bike use in short commute with budget 200$
I wanted to buy a bike just for short commute. So mainly don't want to spend too much on this. I limited my budget not over 200$ for my bike.

I'm 5" and not sure what size I need to look for .....

Here is 2 bikes I'm looking

1. Schwinn Women's Wayfarer 700c Bicycle, Cream
Price : $172.70
Detail : http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Womens-Wayfarer-Bicycle-Cream/dp/B00IAPL15K/

2. TRAYL Women's Swift 700C Hybrid Bicycle
Price : $179.99
Detail : http://www.sportsauthority.com/TRAYL-Womens-Swift-700C-Hybrid-Bicycle/product.jsp?productId=17025716

** There are option for small and medium which I'm not sure what is it for ???

Please kindly let me know what you think or if you have another bike that you think better than this, I'm really appreciate it Smile

Happy Thanks Givings for you all
The Wayfarer is much less attractive to thieves, has a rack, and is a simpler bike, but has less low gearing for hills, a much more upright (less efficient) position, and is equipped with lower end components. The reviews on it are what I would consider lukewarm, and is not discounted very much.

The Trayl is not a well-known brand but appears to have good components (unfortunately I can't find a full spec sheet) and seems like a very good buy, with some very favorable reviews. If you decided to go on fun rides it should be much more enjoyable, as it has a wider range of gearing, probably better tires and suspension seat post.

I would suggest you check on the cost of assembly for the bike at a local shop, unless there is a bike co-op available, so that you have that budgeted in as well. There are many items on a boxed bike that need to be properly installed, tightened and adjusted. Just from the photo the Wayfarer comes with poorly sized cable housing (too long). Also, find out how warranty claims are handled, including any labor costs. If there's a nearby Sports Authority that would be a big plus - don't know what they would charge for assembly or the quality, but warranty issues would be much easier to deal with.

If you can find a knowledgeable friend to help you evaluate it or a reliable shop that sells them a used bike is usually a better buy.

Small and medium are frame sizes - at 5' you will need a small.
A $200 dollar budget means your best deal and overall satisfaction would be with a better quality used bike. As Cny pointed out proper assembly is important and the level of bikes you linked to can be a trying experience for even the best mechanics. Where are you located? I can help you comb places like craigslist for bike hopeful's. I find great bikes all the time in the $50 to $200 range.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
As noted above; assembly costs for a mail order bike are going to be a significant percentage of your budget. In the Bay Area, you are looking at $100- or more for assembly. Spring tune up specials are $125-. From the questions you are asking; we are assuming that you do not have the tools to do the assembly yourself.

In addition to your bicycle, you need to budget for a rack, panniers (or whatever you are carrying your stuff in), lights, fenders, helmet, tire irons, patch kit. For commuting, I go with thorn resistant tubes and kevlar belted tires only. The extra weight is good insurance against punctures.

I commute by bike a bit under 10 miles each way.
Nigel
(11-27-2014, 09:11 AM)painkiller Wrote:  A $200 dollar budget means your best deal and overall satisfaction would be with a better quality used bike. As Cny pointed out proper assembly is important and the level of bikes you linked to can be a trying experience for even the best mechanics. Where are you located? I can help you comb places like craigslist for bike hopeful's. I find great bikes all the time in the $50 to $200 range.

Hi, I live in Seattle ( Specifically Capitol Hill ). It would really help if you can find a good deal in craigslist. I did before but as I have no knowledge about this, so I barely know which one has a reasonable price with no works to fix.
I live not far from Sports Authority and I see that they will assemble for free even I ordered online.
what about this one ...
http://www.sportsauthority.com/Schwinn-700c-Ladies-GTX-1-Bike/product.jsp?productId=52137416&cp=10974519.54983776&parentPage=family

Schwinn 700c Ladies GTX-1 Bike
$229.99
GTX - heading in the wrong direction - AVOID suspension in your price range, it just adds weight, and makes riding more tiring due to porpoising.

Of Sportsauthority's online catalogue; I'd recommend this one:
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=43935776&view=grid
Schwinn 700C Women's Wayfarer 7 Speed Retro City Hybrid Bike
Nigel
The wayfarer looks like the old Schwin Tourist bike. Fine and complete for cruising the city. One issue is that it comes in one size and the OP says she is 5' tall so a small bike is needed. No way to tell from photo a visit to sports authority to try for size is recommended.
Never Give Up!!!
Can't find out much about their services, but you might check out Seattle Bicycle Collective, which apparently is very close to your location. https://www.facebook.com/seattlebicyclecollective/info?tab=overview
I think I will take more time to learn more about bike and go around bike shop to see if there happen to have a good used one with good prince
(11-28-2014, 03:35 AM)kakafreedom Wrote:  I think I will take more time to learn more about bike and go around bike shop to see if there happen to have a good used one with good prince

Thats a good way to start. do not get in a big rush. You quoted earlier
" I barely know which one has a reasonable price with no works to fix"
More often than not there will be something to fix or improve on a bike new or used. The worst hit you could take on a used bike is a donked rim you did not catch. spin and check them closely. Sounds like you need to start to learn basics in bike repair and that will help you in the long run too. I checked your area and it seems massive, lots of bikes of posssibility but again they need looked at good and make the call. try to stay with the name brands like Trek, Specialized,Giant to name a couple.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Typically bike co-ops (collectives) offer a lot of help in learning more about bikes. If they don't sell used bikes likelihood is they'd at least be able to advise you. There is indeed a shop that deals in used bikes in Seattle - http://www.recycledcycles.com/ (Remaining 2014 Bikes 20-40% OFF!). Frankly it would be hard to find many communities with more bike resources than you have there. Take advantage of in-person assistance - somehow we managed that way back in the olden days.

Possibly Related Threads...