Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Schwinn Paramount PDG70
I knew you would like it Nigel. I bought a new action cam for Christmas, hopefully more suited but I think they all do that to a certain extent. A helmet cam may be smoother but may not really show the lean and transition so well.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Nice work bike. How do you like the seat?
Never Give Up!!!
(01-04-2015, 01:39 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Nice work bike. How do you like the seat?

Hi George; I trashed the saddle that was on the PDG70 -worn, torn, not my style. I like these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1C88ZY/ and have them on several bikes, including the PDG70 and my commuter. Luckily I bought several at $12.95 each......
Nigel
I rode it to work today Smile .  It was a little damp.  It has SKS fenders, lights, an Ibera seat post mounted rack and Avenir Metro panniers (the smallest ones).

[Image: IMG_20150119_081222_510_zpsaovacrtg.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150119_081138_305_zpszwjvbhxp.jpg]

I tried a top mount rack bag - too tall, dug around my boxes and came up with the small Avenir panniers, work great.  The elastic mounted hooks on the inside attach to the fender stay bolt.  There is no possibility of heel strike, even on this short bike.

It rides great Smile  100 psi in both tires (Nashbar 32-559 slick on front, Kenda K193 40-559 on back).

It is going to get a Greenfield kickstand.

The shifters, derailleurs, crankset and cassette are original - they are SWEET.  Smooth, fast, precise shifting.  After using them, I agree with Bob, they are excellent.

The brakes work well too.
Nigel
Wow Nigel, The bike looks real nice! It looks like a real workhorse. Congrats on a sweet bike.
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Thanks.
Nigel
Do I detect a Gt going up for sale in your near future Nigel?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(01-19-2015, 05:59 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Do I detect a Gt going up for sale in your near future Nigel?

The GT still has back up status, and will probably get new wheels.

The SR is another matter, I am in the process of pulling off various components for other bikes already, and will probably sell the frame, headset and fork. The SR is Tange Champion PG Cro-Mo, 135mm OLD, has brake posts positioned for 650b (ETRTO584), which also works with 650a (ETRTO590) and 650c (ETRTO571); there should be some takers.

The World Tourist has had some upgrades: 135mm OLD, 40H ETRTO622 rear wheel (Dyad rim, Wheelsmith spokes, Wheelmaster hub). And it will get some more: the cranks, BB and Microshift 8 speed twist grip from the SR, along with a custom 13-32 cassette (mix of 13-26 and 11-32: the 14T removed, and 32T added, later might get a 14T 1st position cog to make a 14-32).

I really like the Microshift 8 speed twist grip.
Nigel
Very nice. That's the style bike I like myself. Fenders look great. 100 psi tires I think you said. Will have to try those on my next tire go round. Also i have never seen the post bag set up before. Good looking bike.

(01-19-2015, 06:40 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(01-19-2015, 05:59 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Do I detect a Gt going up for sale in your near future Nigel?

The SR is another matter, I am in the process of pulling off various components for other bikes already, and will probably sell the frame, headset and fork. The SR is Tange Champion PG Cro-Mo, 135mm OLD, has brake posts positioned for 650b (ETRTO584), which also works with 650a (ETRTO590) and 650c (ETRTO571); there should be some takers.

The World Tourist has had some upgrades: 135mm OLD, 40H ETRTO622 rear wheel (Dyad rim, Wheelsmith spokes, Wheelmaster hub). And it will get some more: the cranks, BB and Microshift 8 speed twist grip from the SR, along with a custom 13-32 cassette (mix of 13-26 and 11-32: the 14T removed, and 32T added, later might get a 14T 1st position cog to make a 14-32).

"Where ever we go, there we are"
(01-19-2015, 06:40 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  

stealing from Peter to pay Paul is always a good way to try different set ups for sure. I figure I am a class 4 Bike part hoarder. But we are lucky to be able to play around like this. You see more and more Microshift stuff on bikes nowadays for sure. When it comes to gripshifters I would rather just replace them then put new cables in them, especially if the grips are shot. for penny's extra you can buy new with cables and grips. I have a few used gripshifters laying around in about every flavor. You know me, I pull em, and mostly replace with rapidfire shimano, much smoother all around I think.
This is already my favorite bike to ride: light, responsive, comfortable.

The GT - unless I sell it - is going to get the same wheels and tires. but silver hubs.
Nigel
Nice bike Nigel. I have been watching Craig's List for one. Usually the difference between a favorite bike and another bike is when you find the frame size and the handle bar set up that really fits your body. I have a old Hunter bicycle, I think it's a dept. store bike from the 80's, and not the custom Hunter's now being made in California, that I just love to ride because I feel so comfortable on it. People buying bikes should really focus on frame size and comfort on the bike they are buying. otherwise you can spend a fortune and still not have the right bike for yourself..
Well, I sold the GT to a co-worker  Smile
Nigel
(03-09-2015, 07:41 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Well, I sold the GT to a co-worker  Smile
Well, they come and they go. I sold a 92' Giant atx760, 97' Cannondale F300 modified, 94' Carbon fiber Zseries Trek 2100, and a Girls Trek 700 multiTrack this last weekend.
Spring is here soon and things are rolling once again! Generally this is my busiest time of the year for bike sales and rash of tune-ups. I stay steady throughout the year with repair work for the most part. Never enough hours in a day.
Over the weekend, I changed the rear cassette to a custom 8 speed  12-28 made up from a Mich 12T first position cog, a 16T Sunrace cog and the remains from building up the 14-32 custom 8 speed cassette for the WT.  The shifters (in friction mode) and RD work well.  Also replaced the chain with a new KMC X8.93, and removed, inspected and re-installed the BB - a Shimano UN70.
Nigel
(04-06-2015, 11:40 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Over the weekend, I changed the rear cassette to a custom 8 speed  12-28 made up from a Mich 12T first position cog, a 16T Sunrace cog and the remains from building up the 14-32 custom 8 speed cassette for the WT.  The shifters (in friction mode) and RD work well.  Also replaced the chain with a new KMC X8.93, and removed, inspected and re-installed the BB - a Shimano UN70.

do you get more speed now, or better hill climbing, or both?
Have you got a pic for us?
Only the pictures above, hasn't really changed since then.

The 8 speed cassette gives me one additional cog in the middle, the top and bottom are unchanged from 12 and 28 respectively.  This allows me to fine tune my cruising speed/effort a little bit better.  The bike needed a new chain and new cassette, figured I may as well cobble together an 8 speed from what I had on hand, instead of purchasing a 7 speed.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post