Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Great group of people.
Hey guys.

Im a new member here, and spent some time browsing various posts and threads. I in no way claim to know very much about bicycles, bicycle repairs or bicycle maintenance. But I have been amazed at some of the questions asked and information being seeked via posts and threads on this site.

But......and the purpose of my post.....Is to thank and congratulate the members who constantly endeavour to answer the seemingly endless questions and enquiries made by us who know so little.

You deserve thanks.....you really are a great group of people.

Thank you all.

Daniel BACH.
Thanks for the very kind words. Back when I started out tinkering, I did not have the internet to comb and separate the good from the not so good info! Ha. That can be a big plus to be able to pick the brains from across the planet. The ease of pictures too.
This is a pretty low volume site but thats what I like about it. I've made some friends (I think) and some enemy's (I am sure). Just like family ! Smile Thanks again Daniel for taking the time to spread some good vibe's !
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(12-28-2014, 11:12 AM)painkiller Wrote:  Thanks for the very kind words. Back when I started out tinkering, I did not have the internet to comb and separate the good from the not so good info! Ha. That can be a big plus to be able to pick the brains from across the planet. The ease of pictures too.
This is a pretty low volume site but thats what I like about it. I've made some friends (I think) and some enemy's (I am sure). Just like family ! Smile Thanks again Daniel for taking the time to spread some good vibe's !

I think a bit of recognition for a job well done never goes astray. Ive noticed your name featured throughout the site...no doubt giving helpful ideas, pleasing some and perhaps aggrevating others. As you say "like a family". So you are one of the people i was referring to in my post.
When i was younger, before the world wide web, i would problem solve my bike issues quite simply by dismantling my bike, blindly, and in the process i would discover how things worked. Then i would do my best to rectify or eliminate what i believed to be the fault....and blindly put the bike back together. If that didnt work....well id just do it again.
But back then i rode bikes that were fairly rudimental in their construction and compared with modern bikes, very simple bits of machinery.
Nowdays, i am petrified of loosening a single nut or screw on my bikes without firstly researching and fully understanding the task im about to undertake.
God i long for the simple times and carefree approach we once enjoyed.
I think most people start out that way for sure. I certainly have my era of preference when it come s to bikes. I like to post bikes that were acquired mostly because people think their bike has worn out its use and longer worth fixing. When I look at what $600 gets you today "No Thanks" on the new bike. I like to show what they were and what they can be. You end up with twice the bike for half the price in my opinion, plus built just the way you like it.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(12-28-2014, 12:24 PM)painkiller Wrote:  I think most people start out that way for sure. I certainly have my era of preference when it come s to bikes. I like to post bikes that were acquired mostly because people think their bike has worn out its use and longer worth fixing. When I look at what $600 gets you today "No Thanks" on the new bike. I like to show what they were and what they can be. You end up with twice the bike for half the price in my opinion, plus built just the way you like it.

Ive just actually finished reading your post about the bike your daughter got for you. You really have an indepth understanding and it seems a true passion for bikes. And the work you produce, the little ive seen anyway, has me thinking you are what i would consider a true craftsman of the trade.
(12-28-2014, 12:44 PM)bach-biking Wrote:  ..... you are ....... a true craftsman of the trade.

Yes, Bob is Smile
Nigel
(12-28-2014, 02:12 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(12-28-2014, 12:44 PM)bach-biking Wrote:  ..... you are ....... a true craftsman of the trade.

Yes, Bob is Smile

I am grateful to have found this site. Friendly helpful people with a great knowledge base, and a willingness to share and teach.

Yes, Bob is Smile
[/quote]

I am grateful to have found this site. Friendly helpful people with a great knowledge base, and a willingness to share and teach.
[/quote]

I agree with you! These folks have helped me in some frustrating times. They are also just nice to chat with sometimes!
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount