Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Two mtbs for sale
i got two mountain bikes for sale im trying to get money for to put into other projects i got going ones a 15 speed roadmaster mt fury all it needs is it back tire pumped up and one gear cable i got it from a guy i worked with for free and i dont need it while the other one is a 26 in 21 speed plush alumium womens mountain bike i got in a trade while back n it needs brake cables n one gear cable also and i have went through them completely and they both was missing a gear cable and the brake cable for some reason got really rusted over the years that both owners had them they told me so if you are interested let me know and we can make some deal
southern pride
I could really dig on working on bikes on a deck with the lake front view !
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
You went through them but they still need cables? You might post an asking price and your location for better results.
yea ik im bout to buy them cables if that helps my price any but round 100 to 200 so i can get my other projects started on n also buy the fourwheeler i been trying to get up money for too
southern pride
Joseph, here is the deal and I know you will think I am "Debbie Downer". You have the cart before the horse as they say. I recommend you find someplace local that offers Bicycle repair classes. Stay away from the level of these two bikes you would like to sell, they only make money if you get them about free and do nothing to them and flip them for chump change @ high rate of volume. That is what junkers and scrappers do (they are not bicycle people). If you choose this route, that is fine however that will be what you will be known as (The guy that has cheap bicycles). That too is fine if that is what you want in the end.
Back to the two example's you have up for sale now is simply this. You would like $100 to $200 for bikes that probably cost $150 tops new. Which means if you bought it new and put it back up for sale the next day, it would be a tough sale @ 50% to 75% that you just paid for the bike. So now you have a well used bike that needs some things. mere tubes,tires,cables/housing, brake pads normally will exceed the 50% to 75% sale price of a new model. This why the junker guy just flips at volume and leaves them untouched. I am quite aware there are many people who own these that have convinced themselves they are fine bikes, they are only misleading themselves. To refurb a bicycle of this level (properly) I would put it this way and hope you understand. When a car gets into an accident it would get an estimate that would determine if the repairs would exceed the value of replacement or not. This is also a slight misnomer in the fact that most insurance companies would "Total" a car @ around 70% or so. The rest is up to you. I only say these things because I want to see you grow and improve in your new found passion for bicycle repair. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I agree with Painkiller, who is pretty much an expert at bike resale. I can find multiple postings for the Mt. Fury used at about $40, which is where I would peg the price of that bike - maybe $50 max in perfect shape if there were no alternatives in a remote area. The other bike is worth well under $100 used.
(12-31-2014, 02:55 PM)cny-man Wrote:  I agree with Painkiller, who is pretty much an expert at bike resale. I can find multiple postings for the Mt. Fury used at about $40, which is where I would peg the price of that bike - maybe $50 max in perfect shape if there were no alternatives in a remote area. The other bike is worth well under $100 used.

Thanks Cny! Just trying to give a kick start in the right direction. We all had to start somewhere.
In the Bay Area, in perfect operating shape - both brakes working properly, both front and rear derailleurs shifting smoothly, decent tires, minor cosmetic issues; those have asking prices under $30- each, and are rarely sold. They just aren't worth it.

The next is missing the front brake and cable. The brake lever is probably shot too - having seen the crap on NEXT branded bikes. Parts alone to repair that are $30+ retail.....

For comparison, check out: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-5665.html The donor bike, which was in good rideable condition was $40-. The Rock Point II has cro-mo frame and forks, and alloy cranks - all far more desirable than the NEXT or Mt Fury. I have another Rock Point II that I paid $25- for, that is also fully functional in rideable condition. The paint has faded a bit, but no rust.

Please note; the NEXT brand new lists for $130- and Wal-mart has it for less. The Mt Fury is no longer offered; sold for $80- or less new. As Bob mentioned above, figure 50% of new for a currently available bike functioning properly and complete as an upper limit.

If you want to be involved with decent bikes, and not gain a reputation as having junk; strip them down completely to learn how things go together. Take the metal the scrapper for a little cash.
Nigel
Happy New Year y'all.

Yeh its amazing that these bikes can be build and shipped here and sold new for $80. If it gets people affordable start at biking its OK. If a person is knowledgeable than buying and fixing a better bike will be a better choice.

The bikes look clean, IMO flip them for $25 as is, $40 each fixed. or donate them for a tax deduction.
Never Give Up!!!
ive fixed the problems with both Saturday after I posted them so I can hopefully get more hopefully im got lot of things I need to get money up for n that's y im even selling them
southern pride
Piling on here but was wondering if these are $30 bikes MT bikes, what are the bike that other are buying and fixing up and reselling? I have a Rockey Mountain Hammer, around 1992 or so, that is in good working order, but has scratched paint. Has good tires but mismatched. What would this bike be worth were you guys live and would it be worth fixing or upgrading?
"Where ever we go, there we are"
(01-05-2015, 05:56 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  Piling on here but was wondering if these are $30 bikes MT bikes, what are the bike that other are buying and fixing up and reselling? I have a Rockey Mountain Hammer, around 1992 or so, that is in good working order, but has scratched paint. Has good tires but mismatched. What would this bike be worth were you guys live and would it be worth fixing or upgrading?
Based on Bikepedia: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1993&Brand=Rocky%20Mountain&Model=Hammer&Type=bike which only goes back to 1993; I would say it is worth it. Please start your own thread on it.
Nigel
it a start though that im trying to get my things done that I need supplies to repair though and I got them both for free plus I forgot to mention one thing I got old parts to other mtbs too js plus since I was 12 I been working on mountain bikes and im 18 so yea im trying to get up in this world and other things
southern pride
well one of them is bout to be sold and it the 15 speed victory for my price the person agreed to it so far yes
southern pride
I Sold one of them
southern pride
(04-01-2015, 11:36 PM)joseph wolf man Wrote:  I Sold one of them
Glad to hear you sold one.
Have you got any pictures of these bikes?
"Where ever we go, there we are"
(04-01-2015, 11:52 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  
(04-01-2015, 11:36 PM)joseph wolf man Wrote:  I Sold one of them
Glad to hear you sold one.
Have you got any pictures of these bikes?

I Deleted the pictures
southern pride

Possibly Related Threads...