Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Chain skipping one gear while shifting
I purchased a 18 speed bicycle with shimano gears having revo shifters yesterday.
Today I noticed that while shifting from 2nd gear to the third gear it skips the third cog at the back and jumps to the fourth. There is no issue with other gears.
I would like to know why has this happened and at the same time what can be done inorder to fix this problem.. Kindly reply.. Smile
trying to adjust the derailleur might help i had that problem with my 18 speed and i just adjusted the rear derailleur and it quit skipping
southern pride
(12-30-2014, 10:13 AM)aswinskumar Wrote:  I purchased a 18 speed bicycle with shimano gears having revo shifters yesterday.
Today I noticed that while shifting from 2nd gear to the third gear it skips the third cog at the back and jumps to the fourth. There is no issue with other gears.
I would like to know why has this happened and at the same time what can be done inorder to fix this problem.. Kindly reply.. Smile

If the RD aligns properly with the other 5 sprockets, the the RD is properly adjusted. If not, adjust the RD per instructions on this site.

I had a Shimano 7 speed freewheel that had one sprocket mis-located, everything was good in the other six sprockets, just the 5th one was off. If this is your situation, the freewheel will need to be replaced. You can use caliper to measure to see if this is the case.
Nigel
When you shift to smaller rear cogs the derailleur has to pull the cable through the housing with spring tension in order to move. It does not take much to interfere with that movement. It is *not possible* for the lever to allow you to shift to 4th gear when in the 3rd gear position and also shift two gears, so *most likely* what is occurring is that you have moved the lever twice before the rear shifted, and there is excess cable friction that is delaying the shift. If you purchased the bike locally return it for a free adjustment. If not seek out a knowledgeable friend or a bike co-op for in-person assistance.
(12-30-2014, 08:19 PM)cny-man Wrote:  When you shift to smaller rear cogs the derailleur has to pull the cable through the housing with spring tension in order to move. It does not take much to interfere with that movement. It is *not possible* for the lever to allow you to shift to 4th gear when in the 3rd gear position and also shift two gears, so *most likely* what is occurring is that you have moved the lever twice before the rear shifted, and there is excess cable friction that is delaying the shift. If you purchased the bike locally return it for a free adjustment. If not seek out a knowledgeable friend or a bike co-op for in-person assistance.

Well I dont think I have turned the shift twice before the rear shifted. I was riding in the second gear and i turned the grip shift to third and what happened was that at first the chain was placed in the third cog at the back and suddenly it slipped it seems..and it went to the forth cog.
And when I changed it to the forth on my hand, it went to the fifth on the rear and so on..And sometimes there is problem while shifting from first to second too..But it doesn't occur frequently as the earlier case. I don't have much idea about how this thing works and at the same time I dont have any knowledgeable friend regarding this issue. So I'm looking forward to giving the bike to the same shop from where I bought it for repairing it.
Thank you so much for your reply.. Smile
(12-30-2014, 01:05 PM)joseph wolf man Wrote:  trying to adjust the derailleur might help i had that problem with my 18 speed and i just adjusted the rear derailleur and it quit skipping

Hmm.. Thank you for your reply.. Smile
(12-30-2014, 01:52 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(12-30-2014, 10:13 AM)aswinskumar Wrote:  I purchased a 18 speed bicycle with shimano gears having revo shifters yesterday.

If the RD aligns properly with the other 5 sprockets, the the RD is properly adjusted. If not, adjust the RD per instructions on this site.

I had a Shimano 7 speed freewheel that had one sprocket mis-located, everything was good in the other six sprockets, just the 5th one was off. If this is your situation, the freewheel will need to be replaced. You can use caliper to measure to see if this is the case.

Well this is how my bike's rear cog looks like..
Do you find any mislocations[attachment=5612]
(12-30-2014, 01:52 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  

Well this is how my bike's rear cog looks like..
Do you find any mislocations[attachment=5612]
Not possible to see any problems as you are having from a pic. You did not mention before that the shift points ALL moved off one after you have the problem. That would indicate that your cable has "stretched," probably enough that it needs to be pulled through more. Just return it to the shop for correction and worry later about learning to make adjustments on your own. Also, return it again at the end of the 30-60 day free adjustment period, even if you are not aware of any problems.
your welcome i actually done what i said but hey different ways help alot better than anything
southern pride
(12-31-2014, 11:03 AM)joseph wolf man Wrote:  your welcome i actually done what i said but hey different ways help alot better than anything

Will there be any other problems to the shifters if i keep using the bike untill it has been repaired.. I mean I will be free only on this saturday and I'm planning to get it fixed that day and I use my bike daily.. So will there be any problem if I keep riding in this condition.. ?
You are unlikely to cause any damage till then. Just keep track of any other problems or concerns you have and convey them to the bike shop on Saturday.
Seems like basic derailleur tuning/tension. If that doesn't help, check the derailleur hanger for straightness. I did notice a scrape on that derailleur protector from the photo you posted. You can eye this but it will probably take a special hanger tool that screws on where the derailleur bolts on.
Best of Luck
GO RIDE...
Thank you so much everyone. Being a newbie to gear bikes, I was anxious and worried after getting a problem with the shifter within the first day after purchase. But now I feel that everything is gonna be alright.. Smile
Smile Smile

Possibly Related Threads...