Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cold weather malfunction
As soon as it hits around 10 or below my bike will "skip" when I pedal. I have an all city nature boy. I got it last spring. I have put a good 1000 miles at lease on it since may.
It pedals fine until I coase for even just a second. Then when I pedal, it just spins and spins. I have to stop completely and it will catch again. It is a single speed so there is no other gear to "jump" to. It is a pain in the butt when I ride 6+ miles a day. When its 20 degrees out it will not do it. Only when its very cold. With the coldest part of the season upon me, I need to figure this out.
I can not bus to and from work. I am to shy. But I am attempting to figure out a carpool.
I would rather figure this out. I will ask some mechanics @ work monday. But as I still gotta ride in I would like to have a decent idea od what is going on, and what I need to purchase/who I need to ask to fix this.
A friend suggested it might be the back hub. Though I am not really sure what that would entail on the maintnace.
I really love my nature boy, I am trying to convince my fiance to get one from work while we learn how to maintance the disc break on the salsa. So far this issue is not convincing for the MN winter season.I have met a few people who love cyclocross single speeds in the winter. I am just confused as my bike is fairly new. Any help is greatly appriciated.
it sounds like a freewheel issue. I would hate to have to tell you to soak it in mineral oil blow it out and soak it in light oil at this point. I would keep it, but would replace it and try another new freewheel to see how it works @ the low temps.take some clear close up pics of the freewheel/axle area and we can recommend the proper removal tool
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
It would have to be the rear hub, as the cranks always drive the chain up front, but the rear freewheel can slip if the pawls don't engage.

I would suggest you flush out the freewheel with mineral spirits or WD-40 if that is not available. Then use an oil that will flow at low temps to relube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDdSpIPt5qk
p.s. If that does not resolve the issue the springs that help the pawls engage are rusted or broken and you will need to replace the freewheel.
Thanks guys! You are a huge help. I will just replace the freewheel and then play with the old one. Maybe try a few less teeth this time. I have 17 right now. I can get a replacement really cheap from work. We have a bike shop there so I can just replace it after work and use the tools.
Yeah i had this same issue with my freewheel. The flush and lube didnt do it for me so I replaced my freewheel. It was a cheap replacement ( I went used) and I knew that it couldnt happen again and strand me while I was out riding.
GO RIDE...
(01-04-2015, 10:46 AM)JohnnyCO Wrote:  Yeah i had this same issue with my freewheel. The flush and lube didnt do it for me so I replaced my freewheel. It was a cheap replacement ( I went used) and I knew that it couldnt happen again and strand me while I was out riding.

+1
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
You're welcome. Going new is of course the most reliable way to go, but given that your bike was "fairly new" and I had no indication of whether budget was a concern, a flush and lube seemed the best option to pursue first.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post