Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Dealing with Boredom
How do people deal with boredom on longer rides? I'm finding that I'm running into that issue when I'm starting into longer rides (my longest now is about 3hrs 30 mins). I've thought about bringing some music along, but I'm concerned about how safe that would be in terms of being able to hear traffic at times.

Why is it that they make adult bikes that'll generally work for 5'9" or above, yet when you pedal these same bikes they only work for someone who is 5'4" or so?
I love photography, so I've always brought a handlebar bag that can hold my camera gear. So I'm always looking around for a good shot, which kills the boredom for me and makes every stretch of road exciting.

As for music, it's not really a good idea to ride in traffic with a headset on (although I admit I like music on a long highway journey). You just have to use good judgment and be careful (don't listen too loud). Some places may have by-laws that make it illegal to ride with headphones. The other option would be to get one of those handlebar-mounted radios.
Well, I don't think it would make a big difference to be hearing to music while riding. I am a Deaf cyclist. Be dependent more on your eyes and mirror to watch out for dangers.

Change the terrain you ride on. Making it hilly or twisty should help. Yes I know you can't always chose your routes.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
I always listen to music on my 17 mile round trip to work, I can still hear what's going on around me, i guess it depends on the quality of the headphones. I just use the standard in ear headphones on my mobile phone which allow me to hear my music and still hear traffic around me. I used to joke with my colleagues that I listened to music to drown out the sounds of my own screams as I went through the underpass tunnels in Birmingham city centre!

I sprint between telephone poles when I get bored. Improves fitness and it is not boring.

Dedicated scholar of bicycles
You could read the book "The Power Of Now" by Eckhart Tolle Wink

I usually invite someone to go along with me and we talk about anything that comes up. ohmish, tell me the trick of reading a book? Lol I most definitely would wreck. Smile

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hehe, I didn't necessarily mean read AS you bike, but that would put some challenge to it and eliminate boredom too i guess.

The book is about "the now". Presence. How you can get in touch with and enjoy the present moment without needing something to happen all the time. Be alive, here and now. That's what athletes etc. are experiencing when in "the zone".

Spiritual biking! Smile
Hehehe,<br />
Now that sounds like a good book. At times one does need something to enjoy the moment. Awesome idea. Thank you.

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I listen to my headphones on my bike, not too loud, of course...but early in the morning, I get caught up in the music and sing really loudly, which kills boredom. Today, though, I was singing, and didn't notice the pedestrian standing on the sidewalk waiting for the bus until I saw that he was staring at me as though I had two heads
I'm always having a ball when I am out riding that I don't have time to get bored. There are to many things to look at. I never do get in a hurry thats why I have a touring bicycle and come this spring its going to get used a lot. I don't even care if I don't get back home anytime soon you only live once so do what you like, thats the way I feel at this time lol.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
I just shut my brain off or talk to myself on my century rides :-P
Live life one century at a time.
Do not have this problem riding on Venice Beach. The ocean is always exciting and the views are great and raises ones spirit. Always something new. My favorite is dolphin spotting. I even sing to myself once in a while when the spirit moves me. :-)))

The beautiful athletic Ladies on the path, skating , jogging or bicycling makes one appreciate beauty and enjoy life.
Never Give Up!!!
definitely agree with the camera comment. i'm a photographer, and am always looking for something interesting to snap a picture of. if you look for composition in your surroundings, you can never be bored...at least thats how it works for me lol
(03-04-2010, 09:16 PM)ಠ_ಠ Wrote:  I listen to my headphones on my bike, not too loud, of course...but early in the morning, I get caught up in the music and sing really loudly, which kills boredom. Today, though, I was singing, and didn't notice the pedestrian standing on the sidewalk waiting for the bus until I saw that he was staring at me as though I had two heads

That is classic.
If you can't duck it, chuck it!