Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Specialized hardrock
My dads specialized hardrock that I would like to fix up for him! At the stage now of needing to find out exactly what can be kept and then to look into replacing parts that are done.
The only things I see that require replacements are the cables and housings. Everything else looks like a good cleaning and lubrication would do.

After removing the housings and disconnecting the cables from the derailleurs, I would check the shifters for function. And check that the derailleurs move freely and smoothly across their range.

I would probably also replace the cassette/freewheel and chain.

Anything you want can be replaced.

If you want things to shine, you may want to replace or paint or plate the chain rings. White powder coat would like cool for awhile.
Nigel
I was thinking it would be a tad older, looks to be maybe 1998. something not quite right about the chain and rear cluster. The cluster does not look like an IG or Hg nor does the chain. The rear cluster almost looks like a freewheel and not a cassette. It does have 7 cogs right?. Other than that it just needs some love, I would tear down, clean/inspect, grease/lube, assemble. Most certainly Cables/housing. Looks like the perfect bike to get your feet wet!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Yes , 10-4 to new cables. The rear sprocket cluster is worn out so that needs replacing along with chain. Maybe rear derailleur too. In front crank is not so worn, maybe reusable, depends how far you want to take it. Need better photos of crank and rear cluster with wheel off bike.
Take wheels off and service bearings if cup and cone, same for crank, and headset. Clean polish all.

The bike was most likely build by Giant in Taiwan, a good firm. The plus of aluminum is it does not rust, so not much rust to deal with.
Never Give Up!!!
Nice bike. Definetly worth fixing up. Maybe even put some new front shocks on it if you ride off road.
George ET mentioned Giant and I was in a bike store today and all they sold were Giant and Specialized bikes.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
(01-06-2015, 08:02 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  Nice bike. Definetly worth fixing up. Maybe even put some new front shocks on it if you ride off road.
George ET mentioned Giant and I was in a bike store today and all they sold were Giant and Specialized bikes.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you look where the Giant bikes were made? Its a domino effect bikes got too expensive to make in USA so they were made in Japan, then they were too expensive to make in Japan so they were made in Taiwan and now most are made in China. Sad..... Japan made some great bikes.
Never Give Up!!!
Giant started in Taiwan, got its big break when Schwinn sourced bikes with them in the late '70s / early '80's. Giant continued to make Schwinn branded bikes into the early '90's (at least). Giant currently has factories in Taiwan and China, where they make Giant branded and many other companies' bikes. They are currently the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world.
Nigel
The best Schwinn made abroad were the ones made by Panasonic in Japan. The High End Panasonic Team bikes were as good as anything Italy could produce. The Schwinn Super le Tour was made by Panasonic in late 70's to early 80's....
Never Give Up!!!
(01-07-2015, 01:13 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  The best Schwinn made abroad were the ones made by Panasonic in Japan. The High End Panasonic Team bikes were as good as anything Italy could produce. The Schwinn Super le Tour was made by Panasonic in late 70's to early 80's....

Agreed.

Schwinn's Giant and Panasonic years greatly overlapped. Panasonic doing high-end bikes, and Giant doing mid-range.

The World Tourist and some others were sourced at Giant. The World Tourist is roughly equivalent to the Raleigh Sprite of the same era; lugged & brazed plain guage high-tensile steel, 27" steel wheels. Very comfortable riding bikes. Mine when new in 1983 was around $160-.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post