Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Inside link falls apart when fixing
I've been having a problem with a broken new chain. When I removed the broken link, the inside link falls apart. When I remove the inside link, the next inside link falls apart. Is this something wrong with the chain? I haven't had this problem in the past. I noticed that on old chains, the oil and dirt might have been holding the inside link parts together, so I wondered if that's why I didn't notice it before.

Is there a tool to hold the inside links so they don't fall apart? (I guess I could just use a vice grips.)

Thanks.
(01-04-2015, 06:28 PM)benj Wrote:  I've been having a problem with a broken new chain. When I removed the broken link, the inside link falls apart. When I remove the inside link, the next inside link falls apart. Is this something wrong with the chain? I haven't had this problem in the past. I noticed that on old chains, the oil and dirt might have been holding the inside link parts together, so I wondered if that's why I didn't notice it before.

Is there a tool to hold the inside links so they don't fall apart? (I guess I could just use a vice grips.)

Thanks.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
Sorry Benj. I was going to ask you if you were using a chain tool and then decided to let someone else answer as one of my posts was removed today. So to finish it off, have you a chain link tool? They are very inexpensive and work well.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
(01-04-2015, 08:02 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  Sorry Benj. I was going to ask you if you were using a chain tool and then decided to let someone else answer as one of my posts was removed today. So to finish it off, have you a chain link tool? They are very inexpensive and work well.

Yes - I used the tool to remove the broken link. But when I went to put the chain back together - and to insert the inside link into the outside link, the front end of the inside link fell apart. So I removed that link to expose another inside link, and the end of it fell apart also.
You do have a link to join the two ends together? Once you push out the pin there is nothing holding the roller in place. The link will hold the roller in place. Make sure to put the U lock so the closed end is in the direction of movement

Look in the repair guide in chain and chain rings #40 for info.
Never Give Up!!!
(01-04-2015, 11:22 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  You do have a link to join the two ends together? Once you push out the pin there is nothing holding the roller in place. The link will hold the roller in place. Make sure to put the U lock so the closed end is in the direction of movement

Look in the repair guide in chain and chain rings #40 for info.

The roller falls apart before I can put it into the links.

I know how to use a chain tool and I've repaired quite a few chains in the past and never had this problem. It sounds like this isn't a usual problem.

I wasn't using a quick release chain link.

If I recall, (I don't have the chain in front of me), the roller link has 2 rollers that are held in place by smaller sized links than the "link" link. When the chain is apart, the front roller of the roller link is held in place by the pin in the back roller. On this particular chain, the smaller links that hold the front roller in place, were able to easily move and the roller would then fall out - along with 2 tiny washers. The small links were too loose to be able insert the roller link into the "link" link without the roller falling out.

Hope that's not too confusing.
Just replace the chain - you already have more the $20- worth of aggravation in it. For 8 speed and less applications, I like KMC X8.93 , for 9 speed KMC 9.93 Because I do quite a few projects, I purchase them in 5 packs; the 8 speed is less the $50 for a five pack and the the 8 speed less than $60 for a five pack.
Nigel
I was already intending to replace the chain. Actually, I couldn't use that chain because it kept falling apart before I could join it. I ended up putting 2 old chains together and they're different sizes so I have to get another one.

I was interested in finding out if anyone else ever had this happen. I thought that maybe there was a tool to hold the roller links together.

This all started when the wind blew a plastic bag into the chain while I was riding and it got stuck in the derailleur. It ended up bending the derailleur and breaking the chain.

But thanks for the responses.
(01-06-2015, 03:02 AM)benj Wrote:  ......This all started when the wind blew a plastic bag into the chain while I was riding and it got stuck in the derailleur. It ended up bending the derailleur and breaking the chain.......

The chain must have been in awful shape for that to happen. Bending a RD is pretty easy, breaking a chain that is well maintained is very difficult.
Nigel
It actually was a fairly new chain. I don't know the manufacturer -- but it must have been a really bad one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-28-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Criminal

10-26-2020, 08:28 PM
Last Post: stanS

04-29-2020, 10:40 AM
Last Post: CharleyFarley