Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Remove brake drum from chariot trailer axle
I need to replace the suspension plate on a chariot trailer. The plates slide onto the axle, and therefore I need to remove at least one brake drum from the axle.

This is what it looks like.

[attachment=5677]
However I subsequently found this parts diagram, which suggests what I've labelled as "final part of axle" and "collar" are actually a single part which fits inside the axle (ringed in red)

[attachment=5676]

I can think of several ways of getting this out - unscrew it (seems unlikely), heat the axle with a blow torch, or hit it out from the other side. Hitting it out seems most logical, but somewhat difficult given there's an equivalent part on the other side of the axle, so I will only be able to get a thin rod in. Disinclined to try any of these without advice, as if I damage the parts it will be expensive!
Can you post a link to where you found the diagram? I'd like to explore other items in the neighborhood before making suggestions. At this moment, I am GUESSING that the part was originally pressed on. Hammering it would be a very bad idea.
Nigel
(01-14-2015, 04:59 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Can you post a link to where you found the diagram? I'd like to explore other items in the neighborhood before making suggestions. At this moment, I am GUESSING that the part was originally pressed on. Hammering it would be a very bad idea.
Unfortunately I found the diagram in an old email from a bike parts seller (Madison), when I was trying to find out which suspension part I needed (that's why it's ringed in yellow!)... So I don't have any more than what I've given.

Aren't headsets pressfit - and aren't they removed effectively by hammering from the other side?

I just realised that I know a bike shop owner from donkey's years ago, so going to take it to him tomorrow and see what he thinks...
(01-14-2015, 05:51 PM)nutkey Wrote:  .....Aren't headsets pressfit - and aren't they removed effectively by hammering from the other side?.........

Generally head sets pop out with one blow - could be language, but to me "hammering" implies more than one blow. Headsets also have a very short press fit length, it is not clear how long the press fit (if it is even a press fit) is on your trailer - caution is required - make sure you know what you are dealing with before taking a hammer to it.

Getting more experienced eyes on it is the best course of action, so getting your friend the bike shop owner in the loop in an excellent choice.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...