Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Difference between disc brake pads?
Hi guys

I understand there are 2 types of disc brake pads either sintered (metallic) or resin (organic). I just bought some disc brake pads. How do I tell which type it is when im looking at it?

Thank you
(01-27-2015, 02:17 PM)ibie1983 Wrote:  Hi guys

I understand there are 2 types of disc brake pads either sintered (metallic) or resin (organic). I just bought some disc brake pads. How do I tell which type it is when im looking at it?

Thank you
Looking at new pads may be a tad different than looking at used pads. here is a link with decent pics of both, and claimed reasons to choose one over the other. But mind you that various formula's of each may vary from maker to maker. plus there can be a variable in the rotor make up as well. Finding "your" perfect set up can be a trial and error experience. Most information are mere guidelines when it comes to disc brakes for bicycles. The safest way to go is for "riding style". No perfect setup for everything in other words.

http://www.rwdbrakes.com/MTB-discpads.html
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
On Motorcyle pads, Metal are usually black-ish with silver streaks, wheas Organic are usually brown-ish with no silver streaks.... Silver streaks being the metal particles...

Dunno on bicycles, as mine are 1970/80 vintage.
Ceramic pads not only produce less dust, what comes off of the pads is lighter and less visible. That's the easiest way to go and it will allow your brakes to cool as normal. Kleen Wheels can't vent as well as an unshrouded braking system.

Possibly Related Threads...