Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Any others that walk their dog while riding?
Just a thought, and I was wandering if there were any other fellow cyclists that walk their pooch while riding? I have a Black Lab that needs ALOT of exercising so we go together on casual bike rides. She loves and within the past week has learned to stay on my right side and paces the same speed. Using my right hand and a retractable leash it is not too bad but I need an idea that I can keep both hands on the Handle Bars. To be honest we started out on the Schwinn Meridian, but moved up to the 15speed. No accidents yet lol.

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I tried this for a while, and man, it was great. Until my lab got spooked, made me crash, and got into a dogfight all while I was trying to unclip. I don't do it anymore. Just my two cents.

Dedicated scholar of bicycles
The bike I usually ride while walking is a 3-wheel adult trike, so It gives me more balance. As for the 2wheeler it is a Mt. Fury by Roadmaster. If I wreck it no big loss lol. My dog is pretty smart and avoids other dogs. As far as wanting to go her own way she doesn't do that to much as long as I keep talking to her, i.e. &quot;Come on girl&quot; or &quot;Good girl&quot; or in case of a fast stop from an motorist too busy on their cellphone to noticed stop signs &quot;S-T-O-P!&quot; lol. I did see a neat device that is fastened on the seat post called a walky-dog. Not sure if I want to spend 39.99 on something that I couldn't find any reviews on. So I do thank you and anyone for any advise.<br />
Bill

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I did see a neat device that is fastened on the seat post called a walky-dog. Not sure if I want to spend 39.99 on something that I couldn't find any reviews on. So I do thank you and anyone for any advise.

Bill I have seen what you are talking about a lady had one on each side of her she had two dogs but I am like jr14 one good pull of your girl and its over you get to be on the road all mess up can't ride for who knows when lol but if you use your trike I say thats better for you and her just my 2 cents :-) Beside trikes are fun. And how are you coming a lone with it you still going to add more gears on it.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
IMO you are going to have an accident doing this. What happens is that you ride to the left of a post / pole and the dog (running to catch up) goes the other side.

TWANG - dog nearly gets a broken neck and you probably get a dislocated shoulder or broken arm.
(05-16-2010, 04:06 AM)009jim Wrote:  IMO you are going to have an accident doing this. What happens is that you ride to the left of a post / pole and the dog (running to catch up) goes the other side.

TWANG - dog nearly gets a broken neck and you probably get a dislocated shoulder or broken arm.

Good morning jim,
To answer this question for you honestly, I have never had this problem as I have not used the walky dog attachment. Training is the main key. Start out slow by walking the dog keeping it close to you. After you have a range of commands down with the dog, like stop, go, pick it up (to go faster), and MOST of all the word NO. Zadey my black lab will not go after another dog in a fence darting across the yard to "chase" the moving object. She ignores them by me simply saying no and talking to her. Since I use a retractable leash it took a lot of balance when I started on a 2-wheel bike. As far as the local sniff spots she waits until we are stopped and I tell it is ok. Again that was taking it slow and short little rides up the street, then around the block, then where ever. Dogs are not computers that can be turned on and automatically do as the user wants them to do. It takes time patience and training. Here is one question not asked, the tires? Already covered too because she watches her distance. As far as a pole she already knows how to go back the way she came not getting tangled Smile .

The other options for Dog lovers is to get a pet carrier trailer and have them ride in that. Seen one and the dog loved it. Zadey would not get one as she loves to run beside me. Glad you brought that up as it is a very important question.

Bill