Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

2011 Diamonback Sorrento Fork Upgrade (NEED HELP)
Okay so I have a 2011 Diamondback Sorrento MTB. I am looking at upgrading the fork. Currently the bike has a Zoom Trail XC w/ Alloy crown 60mm travel. I have heard that staying within +/- 20mm of the original specs is advisable. Any thoughts? Is 100mm to much? Lastly I would like to have disc brakes any thoughts on this as well? Lastly if you have an suggestions please feel free to link them below. Thanks in advance.
(01-25-2015, 11:01 PM)eric.s.laffoon Wrote:  Okay so I have a 2011 Diamondback Sorrento MTB. I am looking at upgrading the fork. Currently the bike has a Zoom Trail XC w/ Alloy crown 60mm travel. I have heard that staying within +/- 20mm of the original specs is advisable. Any thoughts? Is 100mm to much? Lastly I would like to have disc brakes any thoughts on this as well? Lastly if you have an suggestions please feel free to link them below. Thanks in advance.
+ 20 would be the most recommended more. I knew it was only a matter of time before you threw in the disc brake thang. you should sell your bike and buy a bike more to suit what you want. with the fork, disc brakes, component upgrades you want will be in the hundreds or it will be low end anyway. your bike has a value of roughly $100 or so. It would be foolish to dump 3 or 400 dollars into it.
It is almost impossible to recommend anything without knowing what country you are in. Update with a more complete Bio
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(01-25-2015, 11:43 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(01-25-2015, 11:01 PM)eric.s.laffoon Wrote:  Okay so I have a 2011 Diamondback Sorrento MTB. I am looking at upgrading the fork. Currently the bike has a Zoom Trail XC w/ Alloy crown 60mm travel. I have heard that staying within +/- 20mm of the original specs is advisable. Any thoughts? Is 100mm to much? Lastly I would like to have disc brakes any thoughts on this as well? Lastly if you have an suggestions please feel free to link them below. Thanks in advance.
+ 20 would be the most recommended more. I knew it was only a matter of time before you threw in the disc brake thang. you should sell your bike and buy a bike more to suit what you want. with the fork, disc brakes, component upgrades you want will be in the hundreds or it will be low end anyway. your bike has a value of roughly $100 or so. It would be foolish to dump 3 or 400 dollars into it.
It is almost impossible to recommend anything without knowing what country you are in. Update with a more complete Bio

I'm currently in the United States of America. Hawaii more specifically.

Questions:

1. Why do you want to change the fork? What are your expectations?
  2. What is your budget?
  3. Where exactly are you riding? Is the suspension really worth extra five to ten pounds?
  4. Why do you want disc brakes? Easy to do with a fork change, hard to do on the rear, and $$$.
Nigel
(01-26-2015, 04:14 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  

Questions:

1. Why do you want to change the fork? What are your expectations?
  2. What is your budget?
  3. Where exactly are you riding? Is the suspension really worth extra five to ten pounds?
  4. Why do you want disc brakes? Easy to do with a fork change, hard to do on the rear, and $$$.
1. Well currently the fork on the bike has rust on it. I've done everything that I can to get it off without taking the chrome off. I figured if I'm going to replace it why not upgrade?
2. I would like to stay in $100-$200 range for the fork. I didn't pay anything for the bike because it was given to me by a friend. So I have nothing invested into it.
3. Most days I will be riding to and from work, on the weekends I will be riding up and down some trails on the mountains and hills in Hawaii. So I'd like something that is a happy medium.
4. The disk brake are still a maybe I would really like opinions on weather or not it's worth it or just to save the money. Like I said I have nothing in the bike so what are your thoughts?
$200- is not going to get you a very good suspension fork.

The disc brake kits are very inexpensive, starting at $50-; BUT then you need a hub (or wheel) that will mount the disc for the front. The rear needs the same; PLUS a mount kit; there are some on eBay for around $50-. You can run a disc on the front and V-brake on the back.

PK has given you the best advice: don't bother upgrading your current ride, save up for a better one.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post