Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Crank set replacement
I bought a mountain bike with a seized suntour free wheel which I changed our for a 7 cluster Shimano. When I went to set up the front deraileur I notice the teeth were badly worn. So I pulled the 3 sprocket crank set off. it is a shimano crank set but has no stamp on it other then a sticker biopace SG for narrow chains only. It is a regular  mens mountain bike. The only markings are shimano and Selkirk on the bike. the big sprocket has 48 teeth. Does anyone know what a common, good inexpensive crankset I could buy on line  to replace this?
"Where ever we go, there we are"
(02-09-2015, 08:59 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  I bought a mountain bike with a seized suntour free wheel which I changed our for a 7 cluster Shimano. When I went to set up the front deraileur I notice the teeth were badly worn. So I pulled the 3 sprocket crank set off. it is a shimano crank set but has no stamp on it other then a sticker biopace SG for narrow chains only. It is a regular  mens mountain bike. The only markings are shimano and Selkirk on the bike. the big sprocket has 48 teeth. Does anyone know what a common, good inexpensive crankset I could buy on line  to replace this?

what gearing do you want? did you want to stay with the 48t ?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(02-09-2015, 09:18 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(02-09-2015, 08:59 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  I bought a mountain bike with a seized suntour free wheel which I changed our for a 7 cluster Shimano. When I went to set up the front deraileur I notice the teeth were badly worn. So I pulled the 3 sprocket crank set off. it is a shimano crank set but has no stamp on it other then a sticker biopace SG for narrow chains only. It is a regular  mens mountain bike. The only markings are shimano and Selkirk on the bike. the big sprocket has 48 teeth. Does anyone know what a common, good inexpensive crankset I could buy on line  to replace this?

not necessarily. i usually ride on the middle sprocket.
 Anything fairly close would be fine PK.
(02-09-2015, 09:25 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  
(02-09-2015, 09:18 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(02-09-2015, 08:59 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  I bought a mountain bike with a seized suntour free wheel which I changed our for a 7 cluster Shimano. When I went to set up the front deraileur I notice the teeth were badly worn. So I pulled the 3 sprocket crank set off. it is a shimano crank set but has no stamp on it other then a sticker biopace SG for narrow chains only. It is a regular  mens mountain bike. The only markings are shimano and Selkirk on the bike. the big sprocket has 48 teeth. Does anyone know what a common, good inexpensive crankset I could buy on line  to replace this?

not necessarily. i usually ride on the middle sprocket.
 Anything fairly close would be fine PK.

any crank replacement may also require a different bottom bracket.
best deal here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191259315101?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

gearing duplicate here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191492104937?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like these better than low end Shimano with the plastic covers. Nigel may differ on this
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
This is my go to crank set for replacements:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZMDJW6/

It is inexpensive, and will likely out last the rider.  It needs a 123mm BB axle.

This past weekend, we just put one on a Trek 930 to replace the original Suntour without ramps and pins on the middle and big ring.  The previously installed front index shifter (from a later 930) would shift into the big ring.  Works very well now.   I have installed these on six different bikes now. You may or may not like the looks, but functionally they are very good.

Watch out for the crank arm length. I tried 175mm on one bike, and am going back to 170mm; even though by the measurements, 175mm is the "correct" fit for me.
Nigel
(02-09-2015, 10:22 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  This is my go to crank set for replacements:

It is inexpensive, and will likely out last the rider.  It needs a 123mm BB axle.

This past weekend, we just put one on a Trek 930 to replace the original Suntour without ramps and pins on the middle and big ring.  The previously installed front index shifter (from a later 930) would shift into the big ring.  Works very well now.   I have installed these on six different bikes now. You may or may not like the looks, but functionally they are very good.

Watch out for the crank arm length. I tried 175mm on one bike, and am going back to 170mm; even though by the measurements, 175mm is the "correct" fit for me.

I know those work great for boat anchor's in Illinois strip mines, never thought about putting one on a bike! Smile
(02-09-2015, 11:05 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(02-09-2015, 10:22 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  This is my go to crank set for replacements:

It is inexpensive, and will likely out last the rider. It needs a 123mm BB axle.

This past weekend, we just put one on a Trek 930 to replace the original Suntour without ramps and pins on the middle and big ring. The previously installed front index shifter (from a later 930) would shift into the big ring. Works very well now. I have installed these on six different bikes now. You may or may not like the looks, but functionally they are very good.

I know those work great for boat anchor's in Illinois strip mines, never thought about putting one on a bike! Smile

i checked the recommendations out on Canadian sites and the least inexpensive is  http://www.amazon.ca/Shimano-FC-M131-Chain-Wheel-Silver/dp/B007Y5HGE2/  . is this the same as Nigel suggested? i'm keeping the existing bottom bracket but not sure if it is 123mm.  ???? mine has the square mount though.
(02-09-2015, 11:07 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  
(02-09-2015, 11:05 PM)painkiller Wrote:  

This past weekend, we just put one on a Trek 930 to replace the original Suntour without ramps and pins on the middle and big ring.  The previously installed front index shifter (from a later 930) would shift into the big ring.  Works very well now.   I have installed these on six different bikes now.  You may or may not like the looks, but functionally they are very good.

Watch out for the crank arm length.  I tried 175mm on one bike, and am going back to 170mm; even though by the measurements, 175mm is the "correct" fit for me.

i checked the recommendations out on Canadian sites and the least inexpensive is  http://www.amazon.ca/Shimano-FC-M131-Chain-Wheel-Silver/dp/B007Y5HGE2/  . is this the same as Nigel suggested? i'm keeping the existing bottom bracket but not sure if it is 123mm.  ???? mine has the square mount though.

Much appreciated PK and Nigel.  I have it all straight in my mind now and know what to do..
(02-10-2015, 12:18 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  i checked the recommendations out on Canadian sites and the least inexpensive is  http://www.amazon.ca/Shimano-FC-M131-Chain-Wheel-Silver/dp/B007Y5HGE2/  . is this the same as Nigel suggested? i'm keeping the existing bottom bracket but not sure if it is 123mm.  ???? mine has the square mount though.

Much appreciated PK and Nigel.  I have it all straight in my mind now and know what to do..

Yes.  Note the M131 is available as 28-38-48 and as 22-32-42.  I peddle slower, and do not ride serious hills, so I go for the bigger rings.
Nigel
(02-10-2015, 01:25 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(02-10-2015, 12:18 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  i checked the recommendations out on Canadian sites and the least inexpensive is  http://www.amazon.ca/Shimano-FC-M131-Chain-Wheel-Silver/dp/B007Y5HGE2/  . is this the same as Nigel suggested? i'm keeping the existing bottom bracket but not sure if it is 123mm.  ???? mine has the square mount though.

Yes.  Note the M131 is available as 28-38-48 and as 22-32-42.  I peddle slower, and do not ride serious hills, so I go for the bigger rings.

In the end I found a bike, in my things to do one day, when I have time pile, that had a very good shimano crank set and front deraleur and transferred them both onto the bike I am redoing.  i probably should get a new chain now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post