Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Dual purpose tires
Newbie to this site here.  I have a bike made as a touring bike (looks like a LHT) that I hope to use for both touring and a roadie, want to keep up with a few of the grey cyclists in my area.  Wondering if I need to have 2 sets of tires for this?  I have a set of 26" x 1.35 schwalbe marathon plus tires on my dedicated touring bike.  This new bike is a ti, so a lot lighter than my cromolly steel touring, with 26"rims.  I could I think mount the schwalbes on these rims, but it might defeat the lightness of the ti, altho so will those paniers.  I have loved the marathons, 2 k and not one flat knock on wood.  Any thoughts
The rolling resistance of teh Marathon Plus is huge, so if you don't mind some extra training?
Strange as it may seem: the wider the tire, the lighter it wil run. I would suggest the widest Marathon Almotion you can fit in on your bike.
You make no mention of your location, which makes specific recommendations somewhat difficult.  Our friend in the Netherlands made a recommendation of the a particular model of Marathons that are not generally available in the USA.

On my commuter with ETRTO 559 rims, I run a Nashbar Slick City Tire 32-559 on the front, and a Kenda Kwest High Pressure tire 40-559 on the rear.  Both are rated to 100 psi.  I am a big guy.  These are FAST tires.  For me, the 4/5 ratio of widths front to rear works well.

The first tires I put on our tandem were Kenda Kwest 35-622; changed to Marathon 37-622 when the Kendas wore out.  I miss the feel of the Kendas.
Nigel
(02-12-2015, 01:22 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  You make no mention of your location, which makes specific recommendations somewhat difficult.  Our friend in the Netherlands made a recommendation of the a particular model of Marathons that are not generally available in the USA.

On my commuter with ETRTO 559 rims, I run a Nashbar Slick City Tire 32-559 on the front, and a Kenda Kwest High Pressure tire 40-559 on the rear.  Both are rated to 100 psi.  I am a big guy.  These are FAST tires.  For me, the 4/5 ratio of widths front to rear works well.

The first tires I put on our tandem were Kenda Kwest 35-622; changed to Marathon 37-622 when the Kendas wore out.  I miss the feel of the Kendas.

Yes
I live in the Pacific NW, Canada. So I can ride most of the winter, do not ride on any ice conditions, occasionally caught out in the rain. Touring with small, 35-40lb load. Looking at Marathon Racer HS 429 26x1.5. Looks like I can go fast and tour on these? What does wire bead vs folding bead mean?
(02-12-2015, 01:46 PM)cyclegranny Wrote:  I live in the Pacific NW, Canada.  So I can ride most of the winter, do not ride on any ice conditions, occasionally caught out in the rain.  Touring with small, 35-40lb load. Looking at Marathon Racer HS 429 26x1.5.   Looks like I can go fast and tour on these?  What does wire bead vs folding bead mean?

Yes.  You can tour on any tire you like.  

Wire bead tires - generally - do not like to be be folded up.  Folding bead tires are intended to be folded up so that they can be packed in small boxes to be packed in your panniers, or where ever you want.  
Nigel
(02-12-2015, 03:00 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(02-12-2015, 01:46 PM)cyclegranny Wrote:  I live in the Pacific NW, Canada.  So I can ride most of the winter, do not ride on any ice conditions, occasionally caught out in the rain.  Touring with small, 35-40lb load. Looking at Marathon Racer HS 429 26x1.5.   Looks like I can go fast and tour on these?  What does wire bead vs folding bead mean?

Yes.  You can tour on any tire you like.  

Wire bead tires - generally - do not like to be be folded up.  Folding bead tires are intended to be folded up so that they can be packed in small boxes to be packed in your panniers, or where ever you want.  

Thanks for replies/suggestions
Colleen
(02-12-2015, 01:22 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  On my commuter with ETRTO 559 rims, I run a Nashbar Slick City Tire 32-559 on the front, and a Kenda Kwest High Pressure tire 40-559 on the rear.  Both are rated to 100 psi.  I am a big guy.  These are FAST tires.  For me, the 4/5 ratio of widths front to rear works well.

Thank you for Kenda recommendation, Nigel! I have similar situation as @"cyclegranny".