Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

2013 Marin Pioneer Trail (Mod)
Got this Nos on the cheap, so i decided to make sort of a 26in sport/hybrid out of Hardtail. Now sporting Shimano 2300 Series crankset 30/40/52t and Rear derailleur working an 11-28t cluster. Plus trying to get some pics to load test!

[Image: marinfull_zpsfuj43bbi.jpg]

[Image: marinrd_zpsxwf2tmpc.jpg]

[Image: marinpedal_zps6asvhd5h.jpg]

[Image: marincrank_zpsrp1mg55l.jpg]
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(02-14-2015, 02:28 AM)painkiller Wrote:  Got this Nos on the cheap, so i decided to make sort of a 26in sport/hybrid out of Hardtail.  Now sporting Shimano 2300 Series crankset 30/40/52t and Rear derailleur working an 11-28t cluster. Plus trying to get some pics to load test!

[Image: marinfull_zpsfuj43bbi.jpg]

[Image: marinrd_zpsxwf2tmpc.jpg]

[Image: marinpedal_zps6asvhd5h.jpg]

[Image: marincrank_zpsrp1mg55l.jpg]

What brand, model are those pedals?  They look so high tech.  They would look so good on my next fixie project.
The pedals are from a company called "Outland Products". They are smooth as butter and priced nice. They are however painted and will not look that nice for long. I will be replacing the pins with shorter ones to suit me. They have a ton of grip. I also use the Wellgo mg-1 platform,, and the Shimano DX platform which are the nicest of the three and the most expensive. The Shimano DX are raw and not painted,I do like those the best
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(02-14-2015, 09:50 AM)painkiller Wrote:  The pedals are from a company called "Outland Products". They are smooth as butter and priced nice. They are however painted and will not look that nice for long. I will be replacing the pins with shorter ones to suit me. They have a ton of grip. I also use the Wellgo mg-1 platform,, and the Shimano DX platform which are the nicest of the three and the most expensive. The Shimano DX are raw and not painted,I do like those the best

Hi mate nice one again. I have 3 new Carrera Subway frames (2 Zzeros which are single speed and 1 is for gears). I'd like to pay your flight to England for you to come and build them up for me as your builds are just very clean. 
Thanks hc! you do just fine on your own! I would love to take you up on that sometime i cannot deny. We would have a blast. Like you I find hard to find an off the shelf bike to meet a certain need to a "T" so we build our own. That is all the fun of it I think. Sometimes it cost a bit and sometimes not as bad as one might think. I picked this bike up purely to tinker with and flip sometime soon. Here is the break down:
2013 Marin Pioneer Trail, New in Box. $559 list. I paid $253.70 shipped to the house.
I changed the Crankset, rear cluster, rear derailluer, pedals, and seat. for a total of $121.45 plus bike $375.15. Still way below retail and moded to suit. Now minus what I can sell the new take of parts for, respectively brings the total to $295.15. Tire for tire no change there. That is just one way to go about how to mod to suit without breaking the bank.
Wow bob,That looks killer! How does it ride? Something like that could be right up the alley of pulling the G-baby around with.How is the quality of the Marin line?
Bill
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

(02-16-2015, 05:59 PM)fishboy316 Wrote:  Wow bob,That looks killer! How does it ride? Something like that could be right up the alley of pulling the G-baby around with.How is the quality of the Marin line?
Bill
Ride is not to bad. Shock, well it is not a lefty. Do not know if you are talking about the stock set up for your pulling or modified like mine. I just bought another one last night even a touch cheaper @ $222 shipped to the house. I will PM you the info to be able to get one possibly. The stock setup is Shimano Acera , 11-32t, 22/32/42. The fit and finish of the bike is excellent. The rear wheel was out of dish approx. 4mm. For Walmart money on the grab, a decent value I suppose. Not really my cup a tea, I just figure an easy flip for a small profit. There are a few things to consider when doing such a radical gear change on a new bike like this. Mostly the granny gear. I used the stock front derailleur which probably has a capacity of say 46T. So if you put a 52T with 30T granny, you can only use 1-4 Low in the rear before the chain bottoms on the front cage. Due to the height the front derailleur has to be raised. I was fine with that for I built the bike to roll out anyway. I give the 11T away on the middle ring and 4-1 Low when on the big ring which is fine as I do not cross-chain anyway. Realize that I could put a road triple front derailleur on but would have to install a pulley on the seat tube to convert a top pull frame to use a bottom pull road derailleur. With no real gain in the gears I would use anyway. there is approx. 3mm space between the big ring and the chainstay using the original bottom bracket which is longer than what would be spec'd for the rd-2303 crankset. As such the bike runs out very well and the new chainline is acceptable and works well with this setup, nice and smooth!
Well I finally let her go this weekend, Fun bike, fun Mod. $450 out the door! Now back to my rainy day projects!
Sweet! Got to ride it a while and made a few bucks. Gotta love it!
Bill
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix