Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Shifter help

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
papaw1 Offline

Shifter help
hi, I have a used bike I just purchased, it has a rapid fire shifter on it that wont shift all the way down, at first I thought the problem was in the rear but I'm beginning to believe it's in the shifter. Can someone please tell [/font]me how to determine which it is, the shifter or derailleur?
thanks
Jul 21, 2013 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
RE: Shifter help
disconnect the cable from the derailleur; move the derailleur by hand across its stroke while turning the pedals (or remove the chain). The derailleur should spring to the H limit (little cog), but without too much force you should be able to move it to the L limit (big cog). Then make sure the limit screws are adjusted correctly.

The problem could also be a frayed cable - I'd replace all of the cables as a matter of course.

Nigel
Jul 21, 2013 05:59 PM
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
what is the model of your shifter? how old is it? lets see a pic of it. it could have solidified grease causing it not to work right

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Jul 21, 2013 06:49 PM
DaveM Offline
Veteran Member

Also, when you disconnect the cable, try holding the cable in your hand with light pressure and shift through the gears on the shifter. Count how many distinct positions you get. (Note that a 7 speed shifter will have 7 positions, but only 6 "clicks"). You should feel the cable move a couple mm on each click. If the # of positions doesn't match how many gears you have in the back, it could be a problem with the shifter or that someone put the wrong shifter on the bike.
Jul 22, 2013 02:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
papaw1 Offline

(Jul 21, 2013 05:59 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  disconnect the cable from the derailleur; move the derailleur by hand across its stroke while turning the pedals (or remove the chain). The derailleur should spring to the H limit (little cog), but without too much force you should be able to move it to the L limit (big cog). Then make sure the limit screws are adjusted correctly.

The problem could also be a frayed cable - I'd replace all of the cables as a matter of course.

thank you, that was very helpful
Jul 22, 2013 04:35 PM
papaw1 Offline

(Jul 22, 2013 02:46 AM)DaveM Wrote:  Also, when you disconnect the cable, try holding the cable in your hand with light pressure and shift through the gears on the shifter. Count how many distinct positions you get. (Note that a 7 speed shifter will have 7 positions, but only 6 "clicks"). You should feel the cable move a couple mm on each click. If the # of positions doesn't match how many gears you have in the back, it could be a problem with the shifter or that someone put the wrong shifter on the bike.

thank you, very helpful
(Jul 21, 2013 05:59 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  disconnect the cable from the derailleur; move the derailleur by hand across its stroke while turning the pedals (or remove the chain). The derailleur should spring to the H limit (little cog), but without too much force you should be able to move it to the L limit (big cog). Then make sure the limit screws are adjusted correctly.

thanks for the advice......very helpful
Jul 22, 2013 05:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Shifter Cable in FD Won't Listen Wazzawazzarum 3 238 Jul 16, 2014 05:17 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  Shifter moves all the way to high gear by itself juxpin 2 232 Jul 16, 2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  What gear shifter for my bike?-Sturmey Archer photos jonas12 1 339 Jul 6, 2014 11:51 AM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Mongoose Gear Shifter/V Brake not going back past 4 Suresh 2 392 Jul 5, 2014 12:48 AM
Last Post: Suresh
  Rear shifter not connected to tensioned cable? insurgasaurus 5 1,071 Mar 31, 2014 10:00 AM
Last Post: insurgasaurus
  Ultegra 600 STI Shifter compatibility questions SlowestPoke 9 1,698 Mar 3, 2014 06:47 AM
Last Post: SlowestPoke
  SRAM X0 trigger shifter with Shimano Front Derailleur? gregw 6 2,788 Jan 28, 2014 07:58 PM
Last Post: gregw
  Cracked Shifter Bfclax14 1 1,041 Dec 18, 2013 04:59 PM
  Gear cable disconnected from gear shifter Thatkidnoonelikes 2 1,404 Nov 11, 2013 12:11 PM
  8-speed shifter and derailleur with 7-speed sprocket? smmr89 8 3,331 Nov 3, 2013 01:18 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF