Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

This question again?
so my new bike will be here soon and I want to swap out my 15mm nuts up front for a quick release. not sure which yet..... might go for XT as I hear good things about them. i'll be getting a redline monocog, 29er SS. i'm an able tinkerer but just getting a bike tool kit together to take on more of my own repairs. pictures are encouraged as i'm new to all this. thanks all.

also, how do I change things in my .... uuummmmmm........ I don't know what you call it. I want to put up a picture of myself and stuff....

ok, figured out the second half. now, back to the first half.... c'mon guys. don't be shy.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.
So you want quick release, but you purchased a bicycle with nuts holding on the wheels?

Not too bright - and is going to cost you a LOT more $$$ than if you had purchase a bike with quick release wheels.

Conceptually, all you need to replace the axle with one with a hole thru the center, and purchase a quick release. In reality it is a bit more difficult.  You have to find a an axle which will fit - correct threads to use your present cones, and correct length.  Then you need the tools to take it apart and put it back together, cone wrenches are the only bike specific tools.  You also need one or more metric wrenches of the correct size.  BEFORE you use cone wrenches, read up on them, they are fragile.  No wining if you bend them - that is strictly the users fault.  After you get things apart, you need to remove the bearings, clean them, the cups and cones.  You will need new grease, I like boat trailer wheel bearing grease.  Verify that the cones fit on your new axle, the Q/R fits inside your new axle.  Start putting things back together.  Fill the cups with grease, push the bearings all the way in, and cover with another generous layer of grease.  Mount one cone on the axle in approximately the correct position, slide through the hub, put on the other cup, for a front axle, the cones need to be symmetrical on the axle.  Tighten cones so that the wheel spins freely with no wobble.  Add lock nuts.  Re-adjust cones as required so so that the wheel spins freely with no wobble.

Or you could just buy new wheels.  A cheap front one will run you around $50-; about $75 for the rear.  A very good set of wheels will run around $700-
Nigel
10-4 to what Nigel said. Doable but lots of correct parts needed and tools. Just how often do you need to take the wheels off? Also nut axles make the wheels more theft proof. So for city parking I recommend them.

The bike looks nice IMO look it over carefully, set it up for your riding style, and ride. Than if you find you need to adjust some things start your fiddling. .
Never Give Up!!!
(03-05-2015, 01:21 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  10-4 to what Nigel said. Doable but lots of correct parts needed and tools.  Just how often do you need to take the wheels off? Also nut axles make the wheels more theft proof. So for city parking I recommend them.

The bike looks nice IMO look it over carefully, set it up for your riding style, and ride. Than if you find you need to adjust some things start your fiddling. .

My advice would be get a small tool kit that fastens to the seat and put a quick release wrench in it along with a flat tire repair kit? 
"Where ever we go, there we are"
quick release wrench??
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.