Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

New cassette, what else will I need?

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
ptizio Offline

New cassette, what else will I need?
Okay so I am planning to switch my old 8 speed 12-25 cassette to a 10 speed 11-28. Im pretty sure I will either get a new chain as mine is rather worn (3 years, 1,700 miles a year roughly) or maybe just add a few links not sure.
But my question is will I need anything else to go with a new, more speed cassette? Im sitting here thinking about the shifter and cables, will all that stuff work compatibly with the new cassette?
If someone could just give me the full, in your face run down of what I'll need I'll love ya forever
Thanks in advance for any help, its all appreciated!
(just saying, its not that I couldnt go to my LBS where I got the bike and get his advice, great guy, im just a little tight for cash with grad school and if i ask him, he'll show me, I'll feel bad, buy it all at his place and then realize I could have saved a ton online, I still support him with other things)
Jul 22, 2013 07:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RBurrelli Offline

RE: New cassette, what else will I need?
You could be looking at changing a lot of components when moving from 8 to 10. For sure, shifters, derailleurs, chain. It could get further complicated by what your dropout spacing currently is on the rear wheel. You might not be able to fit the cassette in the space you have.

It might require new wheelset in the rear as well.

We need to know more about the bike you are planning this on.
Jul 23, 2013 06:19 AM
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
8 to 10 speed - no difference in the freehub - IF it is Shimano compatible. So drop out spacing is a non issue, and your present rear wheel, if it is in good shape, will be fine.

you will need:
* new 10 speed chain.
* new shifter for the rear
* new cable
* POSSIBLY a new RD
* POSSIBLY new chain rings
* POSSIBLY new right crank

The shifter is going to be your biggest expense.

You provide insufficient information to get a better answer; we need details on what you have now.

Nigel
Jul 23, 2013 09:04 AM
ptizio Offline

Its a 2010 Trek Alpha 1.1, shimano 2300 rear derailleur (12-25)
Its been a good road bike for training and doing tours on but looking to get a little more speed outa her for less cash, who wouldnt? But thats good news about the drop out space which was my biggest concern, the new rear shifter might be more than I want to get into with this bike tho. I figured a new chain. I could do all the other things but putting on new shifters might be out of my mechanical skill level. What if I did a 9-speed? or would that just not be worth the trouble and not get more versatility outa it?. Thanks!

(Jul 23, 2013 09:04 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  8 to 10 speed - no difference in the freehub - IF it is Shimano compatible. So drop out spacing is a non issue, and your present rear wheel, if it is in good shape, will be fine.

you will need:
* new 10 speed chain.
* new shifter for the rear
* new cable
* POSSIBLY a new RD
* POSSIBLY new chain rings
* POSSIBLY new right crank

The shifter is going to be your biggest expense.

You provide insufficient information to get a better answer; we need details on what you have now.

Its a 2010 Trek Alpha 1.1, shimano 2300 rear derailleur (12-25)
Its been a good road bike for training and doing tours on but looking to get a little more speed outa her for less cash, who wouldnt? But thats good news about the drop out space which was my biggest concern, the new rear shifter might be more than I want to get into with this bike tho. I figured a new chain. I could do all the other things but putting on new shifters might be out of my mechanical skill level. What if I did a 9-speed? or would that just not be worth the trouble and not get more versatility outa it?. Thanks!

(Jul 23, 2013 06:19 AM)RBurrelli Wrote:  You could be looking at changing a lot of components when moving from 8 to 10. For sure, shifters, derailleurs, chain. It could get further complicated by what your dropout spacing currently is on the rear wheel. You might not be able to fit the cassette in the space you have.

It might require new wheelset in the rear as well.

We need to know more about the bike you are planning this on.
Jul 23, 2013 09:54 AM
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
any change in number of cogs or spacing of those cogs means a new shifter. Not hard to change; just pricey.

Nigel
Jul 23, 2013 10:42 AM
Joe_W Offline
Veteran Member

It also will not be faster... training more makes you faster. The smaller sprocket is only 1 tooth smaller plus it is already hard enough to spin a 52x12 in the flat and for mere mortals like me in fact impossible. I almost never use the 50x11 I have.

The better shift levers (105 and up) are a definite improvement though. I once tried a Sora equipped road bike (one step up from the 2300), the brake levers felt very... spongy, no well defined response. Definitely not something I would like to ride downhill at 60 km/h or faster...
Also note that mixing components over a too wide range of the group hierarchy is not recommended. If you should think about going to Tiagra shifters, you should also upgrade the dérailleurs. Especially the FDs have improved quite a bit. This will very likely exceed your planned budget.
Jul 24, 2013 12:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Shimano LX Rear Derailleur cable got stuck in the cassette we78 4 3,938 Oct 28, 2012 07:30 PM
Last Post: Bill
  Shimano 105 derailer fit new 7 speed cassette? crashq 7 7,008 Aug 15, 2012 08:40 AM
Last Post: Joe_W
  New wheelset and cassette - chain/gear skipping misternapps 2 5,375 Sep 10, 2010 07:54 AM
Last Post: trevgbb
  9 speed 105 STI shifters with 8 speed cassette buzz 8 10,684 Jul 11, 2010 10:17 PM
Last Post: buzz
  Shifter not picking up all cassette gears jenno 1 2,567 Sep 17, 2008 08:56 AM
Last Post: Skyguy9999