Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Refurbishment help needed (PLEASE)
Hello,

Can someone please clarify that I am on the right track regarding my bike restore.

I have a second hand Orbea Carpe that I am in the process of restoring and I need some help to clarify which parts I need to purchase (Bike link below). The previous owner had experienced some troubles during a ride resulting in the rear derailleur and chain being destroyed / twisted. This also damaged the rear break cables. The rear cassette is 9 speed, however the destroyed rear derailleur is a 10 speed. I will also be putting the bike in for a general service to have the rear break cable replaced prior to first ride.

(http://www.orbea.com/img/products/product/large/ZC51TTCC-F4-SIDE-CarpeH40_USA.jpg)

Question: If I purchase a 10 Speed Rear derailleur (Shamano Tiagra RD 4601), a nine speed chain (Shimano Dura Ace or XTR 9 Speed Chain) and leave my nine speed rear cassette, will the following work? Or do I need 9,9,9 rather then 10,9,9?

Destroyed parts:
Chain (112 rivets);
Shimano Tiagra RD 4601 rear derailleur.

Proposed new parts:
Shimano Dura Ace or XTR 9 Speed Chain;
Shimano Tiagra RD 4601 rear derailleur.

I appreciate your time and thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom;

Before you purchase anything, make sure that the frame is straight.  Enough force to destroy a RD, chain, and cables is more than enough to permanently damage the frame.

The rules for Shimano rear derailleurs are different for road and mtb.  For road shifters, any 8, 9 or 10 speed RD will work with 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes;  in addition road shifters can use mtb 8 or 9 speed with 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes - but not mtb 10 speed RDs.  Front derailleurs, road shifters require road FDs.

You should be able to find a RD 4500, RD3600 or RD3500 for much less money, and will function well.

Chains; I'd go with a KMC X9.93 KMC chain use a reusable quick link instead of a pin that is a real ___ in the ____  that Shimano uses.  SRAM chains are similar to KMC, but more expensive.
Nigel
(03-16-2015, 12:25 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  The rules for Shimano rear derailleurs are different for road and mtb.  For road shifters, any 8, 9 or 10 speed RD will work with 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes;  in addition road shifters can use mtb 8 or 9 speed with 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes - but not mtb 10 speed RDs.  Front derailleurs, road shifters require road FDs.

You should be able to find a RD 4500, RD3600 or RD3500 for much less money, and will function well.

Chains; I'd go with a KMC X9.93 KMC chain use a reusable quick link 
So Shimano Road shifters would be drop bar types like bar end shifters & "brifters" (drop bar shifters/brake levers which are an integral assembly)?
MTB shifters would be flat bar shifters, twist grip, thumb, trigger & trigger/brake lever combo etc...?
An MTB 10 spd RD won't work with a Shimano road shifter because of the cage length?
Thanks Nigel for your help.

Would a visual inspection be enough to determine if the frame is straight? Or is there a more accurate way of determining this?

Thanks for clarifying the compatibility between the different parts. Ill be using this bike for road use.

I may stay with the Shimano Tiagra RD 4601 rear derailleur as there is only a small difference between this derailleur and the RD 4500 in price. The KMC X9.93 chain however looks to be pretty reliable.

Thanks again,

Tom.
(03-16-2015, 09:06 PM)ernestevo Wrote:  ....Would a visual inspection be enough to determine if the frame is straight? Or is there a more accurate way of determining this? .......

Hi Tom;

You need about three yards/meters of string. Easiest done on a bike stand or automobile bike carrier. Remove the rear wheel, tie the string around the left drop out, run it around the head tube, and back to the right drop out, tie it off tight in the same place on the right drop out as you did on the left initially. (You can swap left and right). The string should be the same distance from the seat tube on both sides within 1mm. If not, the frame is bent. In my opinion aluminum frame are not safely straightened - others have different opinions. Even if it is 5mm out, it will probably be unnoticeable when riding under most conditions.

1FJEF Wrote:So Shimano Road shifters would be drop bar types like bar end shifters & "brifters" (drop bar shifters/brake levers which are an integral assembly)?
MTB shifters would be flat bar shifters, twist grip, thumb, trigger & trigger/brake lever combo etc...?
An MTB 10 spd RD won't work with a Shimano road shifter because of the cage length?
Not exactly.

Road type shifters include brifters and SOME flat bar road bike shifters.

MTB shifter are all as you listed, but not all of the trigger and trigger/brake combs are MTB, some are road type.

Shimano MTB 10 speed RD have different cable pull to derailleur movement ratios than the Shimano Road 10 speed RD. Nothing to do with cage length. All Shimano 7, 8 and 9 speed RD have the same pull ratio, as do the Shimano 10 speed road RDs. Shimano 10 speed MTB RDs are different. I have no knowledge about 11 speed.
Nigel
Cheers Nigel, appreciate it.

Tom