Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How can I tell if my helmet is old and I need a new one?
How can I tell if my helmet is old and I need a new one.
(03-26-2015, 01:05 AM)eastman Wrote:  How can I tell if my helmet is old and I need a new one.

If it looks good it is ok, they say to replace if crashed or straps are breached
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I believe if you start to feel yourself uncomfortable in it, the time has come. And of course the look of the helmet - if its all scratched and whipped, its better to replace it.
(03-26-2015, 01:05 AM)eastman Wrote:  How can I tell if my helmet is old and I need a new one.

If you have to ask, replace it.

How valuable is your head?  
Nigel
It is recommended that motorcycle helmets be replaced after a crash or every five years. The Styrofoam lining which both helmets have degrades over time.

So if you had it over five years buy a new one. BTW consumers reports did bicycle helmet tests and some priced below $40 tested as good as the $150 ones. Just not as fancy.
Never Give Up!!!
CPSC also rates bike helmets
Nigel
If you find any cracks on your helmet then you should change it. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with bike helmet old age, as long as it's good enough to protect your head from hard crash.
Hi,
You should carefully inspect it in order to detect any cracks, bumps or scratches. In this case, the helmet is no longer able to protect your head so you have to change it. Some people recommend changing the helmet every 5 years but it really depends on its condition.
As others have said, if it's not in good condition, scrap it. I would advise against buying a helmet from a big box store such as Walmart. I bought one as a spare but tried it quickly in the store, got it home and left it on a shelf for some time. When eventually I did use it, it was horrible. it fitted well from front to back but I could get my fingers in the sides. Totally useless! Fit is very important.

When I got back into biking four years ago, I bought my bike from a bike shop, and I bought a helmet there, too. They were a Specialized dealer, and the helmet was marked 'Specialized.' It cost me around $45 and it's a nice fit. I doubt the Specialized company would want their name associated with junk.

There's a lot of discussion about helmets and prices. I haven't seen anything that justifies paying $100 for a helmet. One man claimed to be an engineer and had written a paper on helmets. He insisted that it's safer to not wear a helmet. That goes against scientific and government studies.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-14-2022, 03:39 PM
Last Post: JoJoJo

11-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Piedwagtail