Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rattle help!
Complete carbon fiber (frame) road bike less than one year old - 105  10 speed.  Built it myself and it has been fantastic up to now.  About a month ago I started getting a loud rattling noise everytime a rode over slightly rough ground (chip and seal). on smooth road it is silent.  It is obviously coming from the rear part of the drive.  I always ride on the big ring on the 4th cog from the top - flatland.  Here's what I have checked :  Chain is a good length but I have tried two links shorter and two links longer.  Tried a brand new chain. checked that all bolts are tight, pulleys, hanger etc. ' adjusted the 'B' screw to be sure derailleur wasn't swinging loose.  Made sure that the gear cable wasn't vibrating against the stay.  Checked that the cogs on the block were tight, I haven't checked that the freewheel body is tight inside the hub yet.
When I hit the chip and seal it suddenly sounds like I'm dragging a line of tin cans behind me.  I ride alone, but I think that I can see people on the sidewalk saying "What the ...... ??? is that - it's that loud.  If I hit a small pot hole on the smooth road, there is a quick rattle like someone shaking a can of washers.  When it is all happening I am looking down at the chain and there is very little chain bounce happening.   The drive and gear changing is silky smooth.   WTF is it?  Can anyone help? 
Just thought, the rear inner cable does travel inside the stay, but it should be under tension and I wouldn't think it could produce such a load noise if it was touching.  Thanks.
water bottle mount bolts tight? do you have a plastic spoke protector that has play it it? I have had wheels where the block inside the rim its self (at the seam) actually came loose and rattled and squeaked. It was even a High quality Mavic rim. Take the rear wheel off and bounce it around.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
It does it when I'm pedaling and when I'm freewheeling.  I have bounced the bike and bounced the wheel and in both cases it does not do it.  Very frustrating, too bad to ignore, but I'm running out of ideas - it really does define the word 'boneshaker'.  Bottle carriers are ok, early on, I thought that it may be the ice cubes in my bottle - it sounds a little like that would, but it wasn't.
This wouldn't happen to be your Chinese fake Colnago would it?. Try to find another wheelset to test out. If it stops at least you will come closer to pinpointing the noise.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Frame is fine too, been over it with a fine toothcomb, bouncing, pressing, squeezing - solid as a rock. Tomorrow I will send my allen wrench down the spindle and check that the freewheel guts are tight.
You're going to love this Pain !!!   Found the problem and I still can't believe it.  When I first fitted the 10 speed block, it came with a 2mm spacer washer which I went ahead and installed behind the block.  I just remembered that  about a month ago, i was told that I only needed the spacer if I had 11 speed hubs with a ten speed block.  i called the wheel supplier and he confirmed that I had 10 speed hubs, so I took it out.  Yesterday, I put it back, rode tonight and no rattles  !!!!!  The supplier obviously doesn't know his products. How a missing spacer can create enough noise to make people on the sidewalk look around completely baffles me, but it's true.  Feel good, might drink a beer.
Have a beer for me buddy! glad you found the problem. Thanks for the update
(04-28-2015, 06:30 PM)limey Wrote:  You're going to love this Pain !!!   Found the problem and I still can't believe it.  When I first fitted the 10 speed block, it came with a 2mm spacer washer which I went ahead and installed behind the block.  I just remembered that  about a month ago, i was told that I only needed the spacer if I had 11 speed hubs with a ten speed block.  i called the wheel supplier and he confirmed that I had 10 speed hubs, so I took it out.  Yesterday, I put it back, rode tonight and no rattles  !!!!!  The supplier obviously doesn't know his products. How a missing spacer can create enough noise to make people on the sidewalk look around completely baffles me, but it's true.  Feel good, might drink a beer.

So the noise was from the chain or?
"Where ever we go, there we are"
DOn't know for sure, but I don't think it could be from the chain, it was a too resounding a noise - not a vibration thing and when it was happening, there was no excessive chain bounce visible.  I can only assume that the sprockets would not fully tighten down without the spacer in place, although they didn't feel loose to the touch.  Maybe they were rattling against the hub body and being magnified through the hollow carbon fiber stay.  Still puzzles me though - the amount of noise that is, if anyone has a better suggestion, let me know.
(04-29-2015, 06:22 AM)limey Wrote:  DOn't know for sure, but I don't think it could be from the chain, it was a too resounding a noise - not a vibration thing and when it was happening, there was no excessive chain bounce visible.  I can only assume that the sprockets would not fully tighten down without the spacer in place, although they didn't feel loose to the touch.  Maybe they were rattling against the hub body and being magnified through the hollow carbon fiber stay.  Still puzzles me though - the amount of noise that is, if anyone has a better suggestion, let me know.

You might find as a result of the missing spacer and the loose cogs the free hub body has been damaged. As the cogs are loose and can move around they will bite into the softer alloy the free hub body is made out of. Shouldn't have any major effect but can make the cassette difficult to remove in future. Same thing happened to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Last Post: DaveM