Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

I need suggestions! Components
We just got a bike from our uncle that he won at a storage locker auction. Its a Giant Revel. I believe its the original Revel. It has a front disc brake, but it was missing the caliper assemble. The rear brake a standard brake with pads. The rear derailer was broken along with the front derailer. They are the Shimano FD-TX51 and RD-TX55. The front shifters/brake handles are both Shimano, but are different and are in rough shape.

So, I need to replace the front and rear derailer, front brake caliper, and the shift/brake mechanism. Can anyone direct me in the proper direction for replacing these parts at a reasonable price.

Thanks...

[img][Image: 20150426_194818.jpg][/img]

[Image: 20150426_194912.jpg]
(04-26-2015, 10:36 PM)BennettOZ Wrote:  We just got a bike from our uncle that he won at a storage locker auction. Its a Giant Revel. I believe its the original Revel. It has a front disc brake, but it was missing the caliper assemble. The rear brake a standard brake with pads. The rear derailer was broken along with the front derailer. They are the Shimano FD-TX51 and RD-TX55. The front shifters/brake handles are both Shimano, but are different and are in rough shape.

So, I need to replace the front and rear derailer, front brake caliper, and the shift/brake mechanism. Can anyone direct me in the proper direction for replacing these parts at a reasonable price.

Thanks...

Can you post some pics?
"Where ever we go, there we are"
Amazon and Niagara Cycle Works are where I purchase most of my bike items.
Nigel
(04-26-2015, 10:40 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  
(04-26-2015, 10:36 PM)BennettOZ Wrote:  We just got a bike from our uncle that he won at a storage locker auction. Its a Giant Revel. I believe its the original Revel. It has a front disc brake, but it was missing the caliper assemble. The rear brake a standard brake with pads. The rear derailer was broken along with the front derailer. They are the Shimano FD-TX51 and RD-TX55. The front shifters/brake handles are both Shimano, but are different and are in rough shape.

Thanks...

Can you post some pics?

Of the bike or the old components?

(04-26-2015, 10:47 PM)BennettOZ Wrote:  

Thanks...

Can you post some pics?

Pictures added.

Thanks...

Can you post some pics?

Thanks...

Can you post some pics?

Pictures added.

Is that a giant revel 3 from year 
google it and see if that is the same bike.
it looks to me that it as the wrong wheels on it if it is the same bike.
i think they sold 
for
new for $399 from the one I saw.
I picked out all the parts I think I need. I have been told the Mechanical Disc brake will operate effectively and safely on the V-brake setup... Anyone see any real problems with these parts going onto the Giant frame? I know they are basic budget parts, but this is just to get it functioning so my wife has a bike to ride with my daughter and I.

[Image: amazon%20order.jpg]
(04-27-2015, 11:51 PM)BennettOZ Wrote:  Have you figured out the cable runs and cable stops to find out if the front deralleur pulls from the bottom of the unit or the top of it. I would figure all this out before you start buying parts just to make sure they will work when attached to your cable set up? Maybe the pros will pipe in on this? The front deraileur also has to have the right clamp to fasten to the tube size of the seat tubing it attaches to. maybe you have figured this out but I thought I would mention it just in case you hadn't

[quote pid='33184' dateline='1430193087' I picked out all the parts I think I need. I have been told the Mechanical Disc brake will operate effectively and safely on the V-brake setup... Anyone see any real problems with these parts going onto the Giant frame? I know they are basic budget parts, but this is just to get it functioning so my wife has a bike to ride with my daughter and I.

[Image: amazon%20order.jpg]
[/quote]
looks good. I can upgrade the rear derailleur if you like. Shimano Acera $20 shipped.
A new pull off of one of my 2013 Marin's I sold. pm me if you want it
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Last Post: Brongo

03-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Surly LHT

03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Last Post: surreypete