Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Crank bearings
I bought a next px6.0 26in mens mountain bike from walmart. The bearings need to be replace and i don't have the crank puller and don't know what the size is for the bearings can any one help me.
(05-16-2015, 09:02 PM)eric1023 Wrote:  I bought a next px6.0 26in mens mountain bike from walmart. The bearings need to be replace and i don't have the crank puller and don't know what the size is for the bearings can any one help me.

If it's a one off I would suggest you take it in to a bike shop. If not, it is not all that hard if you have or can buy a bicycle tool kit, read a instructions manual, UTube it, or watch the video on this site. Maybe others will chime in here.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
Pictures of your Bottom bracket type would help with the removal advice there. Crank puller is this.
http://www.parktool.com/product/universal-crank-puller-for-square-taper-and-splined-cranks-cwp-7
I recommend replacing Bottom bracket with a cartridge style if it does not have one now. You will need to measure your spindle length.
As Elmore pointed out, if this is a one time deal you may want to go to a shop. The new Bottom bracket would be around $25 and the removal tool around $15 and the installation tool around $15. But I am the type of person that if the lbs price is comparable to owning a tool price, I opt to own the tool and do work for other people to get my money back. That has worked well for me for 30 years.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-16-2015, 09:02 PM)eric1023 Wrote:  I bought a next px6.0 26in mens mountain bike from walmart. The bearings need to be replace and i don't have the crank puller and don't know what the size is for the bearings can any one help me.

I have bought two bikes from Walmart, one was a Mountain Bike, both were one piece cranks. One piece cranks have a single, continuous shaft that is obviously bent so that BOTH pedals are attached to it. There are no bolts holding the crank arm onto a crank shaft. It is easy to service, no puller is then needed. Remove rear wheel, disconnect any chainguard. Take off the left pedal. Unscrew the big lock nut (careful, mind the thread rotation). Unscrew the next nut ("Cone nut")using the special tool, or a spanner wrench, or gently unscrew it by tapping it loose with a big screwdriver. The crank will fully come out now. Make sure the left and right bearings are the same or make sure you know which is left and right. Clean and grease (a light body grease, bike grease is best, possibly white lithium or "Superlube") everything before assembling. Take your time while tightening the cone nut and packing nuts so that there is very minute amount of side-to-side play and the crank still spins smoothly and freely as possible. Bearings are usually rather cheap. Buy your bearings at a local bike shop or online.
My mountain bike has a bolt were the pedals are a attached to. And i bought the cranck puller which cost 20 including the sale tax.
(05-26-2015, 08:41 AM)eric1023 Wrote:  My mountain bike has a bolt were the pedals are a attached to. And i bought the cranck puller which cost 20 including the sale tax.

Sorry, I cannot advise, although I own a crank puller too, I have not removed a bottom bracket yet. Best bet is You Tube or buy a book. My book is "The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance & Repair" 6th edition; it even has pictures. Trying is best, you grow and become better than yesterday. If for some reason, you fail, you can still take it to the local bike shop. But even in failing, you will know more than if you never tried, you gain from mistakes, you still gain intelligence. To make mistakes is human nature. Pride is an illusion. Keep your chin up. Smile
(05-26-2015, 08:41 AM)eric1023 Wrote:  My mountain bike has a bolt were the pedals are a attached to. And i bought the cranck puller which cost 20 including the sale tax.

You take the cap off, if it has one, then you remove the nut, then you screw the puller into the threads in the arm were the nut came off and then turn the bolt on the puller into crank and the arm should release. Hope that is clear. Maybe one of the pros will step in and simplify it.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
I'm having a bike repair man to repair my bike they have all the parts and the tools.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Jesper

08-30-2021, 03:46 AM
Last Post: Poissonj1

07-19-2021, 12:00 AM
Last Post: rbx