Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need some info on my new Specialized 27.5 Pitch Sport
Hello everyone, i got a Specialized 27.5" Pitch Sport 2015 and i was looking to replace all the unsealed ball bearings on the bike with sealed bearings (cartridge type?) like on the wheels, bottom bracket, and head set. I'd like to get a quality bottom bracket, a quality head set, and quality sealed bearings for the wheels. The problem is, is that I don't know what to buy. I dont know if my head set is a threaded, tapered or whatever. Yes, im new to all this so im trying to learn, but thats why i know nothing, lol... I'd appreciate any help you guy's can give me. Thanks

Kevin
(05-20-2015, 11:44 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  
(05-20-2015, 10:59 PM)Sniperkill Wrote:  Hello everyone, i got a Specialized 27.5" Pitch Sport 2015 and i was looking to replace all the unsealed ball bearings on the bike with sealed bearings (cartridge type?) like on the wheels, bottom bracket, and head set. I'd like to get a quality bottom bracket, a quality head set, and quality sealed bearings for the wheels. The problem is, is that I don't know what to buy. I dont know if my head set is a threaded, tapered or whatever. Yes, im new to all this so im trying to learn, but thats why i know nothing, lol... I'd appreciate any help you guy's can give me. Thanks

Kevin

i looked at the specs, if it was the right bike? and it showed double sealed wheel bearings and a bottom bracket cartridge factory installed? just google your bike name and model with spec at the end and the bike spec will come up.

Thanks for the reply bro. Yeah, I'm not that lazy homie. I did some research before buying the bike (well not as much as I should have, lol) but i didnt see anywhere where it listed the bottom bracket type and whether the bearings were sealed. Or maybe i just didn't know what I was reading and the terms everyone uses. If you could give me the link to where it says the head set type and bearing type and bottom bracket type and bearing type, id greatly appreciate it? I mean, i thought I looked everywhere online but I couldn't just find somewhere where it said these things, lol...

EDIT: I'm sorry man, i asked my question the wrong way, I didn't know where to find the right quality parts at cuz theres so much out there i didnt know which ones to buy or where to find the right type. But my bike is the green 2015 Specialized Pitch Sport. I'd post a link but it won't let me from my phone...
Hello Kevin, You can only use the bearing type the components were designed to use.
You have a cartridge Bottom bracket already, your headset has seals to cover your bearings. and your hubs are what they are. There is no gain in what you ask to do. Most people over look the fact of pedals being an integral part of the drive train. If you want smooth, upgrade your stock pedals.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Just to double down on the other comments. Changing out to sealed bearings will cost a lot and won't achieve much of anything. If you're looking for durability, invest in a few tools and learn how to repack your bearings. Doing this once in a while will make even "non-sealed" bearings last indefinitely and they'll perform as good or better than cartridge bearings.

For performance, about the only things I see worth doing on this bike are a nice set of pedals and maybe tires. Both things will have a real impact. Though if you have 650B wheels, your tire choices will be a little limited. 

It's a good bike, you don't need to mess with it.

have fun!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Last Post: nameused