Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Repair after vandalism
Hi everyone, I recently had someone vandalize my bike. Not sure if they were trying to steal it or not, but it did get damaged. I want to repair it myself, as I don't think it would be too complicated. Just wanted some help with the part names.

First, the part that keeps the handlebars on the bike is missing - any suggestions as to what that part is called and where I can find a suitable replacement?

Also, the cables to the gear shift was also damaged. The thumb shifter itself is in one piece, just the cables were damaged. I think the brake cables are also damaged. (See pics for both below) Can just the cable & cable sleeve be purchased without having to purchase a brand new gear shift, etc.

The bike is a Specialized Sirrus - not sure of the exact model (Sport, Pro, etc), but it was one of the lower, mid-lower end models (about $500 retail) And it was purchased about 4 years ago.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

[Image: caa42eafe4b3c6c1c7bd8f5c26325363?AccessK...oworigin=1]

[Image: 98fdd8dff9e94b7b14ee5086a611b21e?AccessK...oworigin=1]
Cables and housing for the shifters and brakes. the arrow is pointing to a missing top cap for a threadless fork. 1 1/8 threadless fork spacers are also missing. these go under the stem that your bar is clamped too. you will need to figure how many spacers you need to achieve at least an 1/8th in gap from top of stem clamp to fork steerer tube. the top cap will pre load your bearings first, then align and clamp the stem. spacers come in a variety of sizes to choose from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LTCthtmjD0
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks!! I think I found the parts that I needed. If I wasn't sure about the spacers, would a spacer kit do the job? One with an assortment of spacers? (3, 5, 10 and 20mm).

(05-21-2015, 08:20 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Cables and housing for the shifters and brakes. the arrow is pointing to a missing top cap for a threadless fork. 1 1/8 threadless fork spacers are also missing. these go under the stem that your bar is clamped too. you will need to figure how many spacers you need to achieve at least an 1/8th in gap from top of stem clamp to fork steerer tube. the top cap will pre load your bearings first, then align and clamp the stem. spacers come in a variety of sizes to choose from.
measure and get the specific ones you need, a kit may not add up the way you want. symmetry wise you may want like 2 20mm and 2 4mm with the 2 20mm in the middle with the 4mm above and below. (sample scenerio) . totally up to you how to stack them. Some people like to use more than one color in the scheme. The gap up top of the stem to tube can vary, it just has to be a minimum gap for the cap to preload. it can be an 1/8in or 3/8in. it just has to be there.

(05-21-2015, 10:26 PM)painkiller Wrote:  measure and get the specific ones you need, a kit may not add up the way you want. symmetry wise you may want like 2 20mm and 2 4mm with the 2 20mm in the middle with the 4mm above and below. (sample scenerio) . totally up to you how to stack them. Some people like to use more than one color in the scheme. The gap up top of the stem to tube can vary, it just has to be a minimum gap for the cap to preload. it can be an 1/8in or 3/8in. it just has to be there.

one inch equals 25.4mm
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Sounds good, I measure and then see what works best. Thanks again!!!

(05-21-2015, 10:06 PM)signalexc Wrote:  Thanks!! I think I found the parts that I needed. If I wasn't sure about the spacers, would a spacer kit do the job? One with an assortment of spacers? (3, 5, 10 and 20mm).

(05-21-2015, 08:20 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Cables and housing for the shifters and brakes. the arrow is pointing to a missing top cap for a threadless fork. 1 1/8 threadless fork spacers are also missing. these go under the stem that your bar is clamped too. you will need to figure how many spacers you need to achieve at least an 1/8th in gap from top of stem clamp to fork steerer tube. the top cap will pre load your bearings first, then align and clamp the stem. spacers come in a variety of sizes to choose from.