Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

DIY Freewheel Remover for SOLEUS
Removing SOLEUS freewheel DIY without a remover, garage style tip for everyone...

[Image: image1.JPG?dl=0]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rrsrp0trrvgbc2/image1.JPG?dl=0

I was trying to clean and grease my wheel bearings, looks like removing the free wheel is a must do type of thing on my bike. I found that a regular old school Chevy GM craiger style lug nut fit in there perfectly. I think its actually just a long 13/16" lug nut, worked in like five seconds. I will post some pics. I am looking forward to eventually trying this with a shimano and soon a falcon freewheel that I got to work on later next week. Thumbs up for my old nuts
and bolts bin!

[Image: image2.JPG?dl=0]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4s9bh7303261wtt/image2.JPG?dl=0

[Image: image3.JPG?dl=0]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pddgud5nqo7dur/image3.JPG?dl=0

[Image: image4.JPG?dl=0]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezztxyab04ifi2b/image4.JPG?dl=0
This same lug nut just removed a falcon freewheel. I'm going to guess falcon and soleus probably both use the fr-7 tool. Two freewheels down. I'm really confident shimano will also work.
Given the low cost of the proper tool, it is just not worth the risk of damaging the freewheel spline - which would mean never being able to remove it without out tearing the freewheel apart.
Nigel
(07-17-2015, 12:32 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Given the low cost of the proper tool, it is just not worth the risk of damaging the freewheel spline - which would mean never being able to remove it without out tearing the freewheel apart.

Given the plethora of free wheels out there we all know the cost can add up if you want to buy one of each go ahead. My method is safe, there is no margin between the lug nut and the splines, I removed two brands with absolutely no damage to the splines. I wouldn't have used the method if there was any float, I would recommend you try it before you recommend against it. If anyone else try's thus, please mention your results.
(07-20-2015, 08:01 PM)Chopperman Wrote:  
(07-17-2015, 12:32 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Given the low cost of the proper tool, it is just not worth the risk of damaging the freewheel spline - which would mean never being able to remove it without out tearing the freewheel apart.

Given the plethora of free wheels out there we all know the cost can add up if you want to buy one of each go ahead. My method is safe, there is no margin between the lug nut and the splines, I removed two brands with absolutely no damage to the splines. I wouldn't have used the method if there was any float, I would recommend you try it before you recommend against it. If anyone else try's thus, please mention your results.

I agree with Nigel. The removal tool is cheap and you can snug the wheel nut up to the removal tool to hold it fast in place when turning so the tool and the freewheel don't get damaged.
"Where ever we go, there we are"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post