Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano 600 freewheel question.
I picked up Nishiki Custom Sport with what I think is a Shimano 600 freewheel. Odd set up. The freewheel has the axel bearings were the freewheel removal tool would normally go. the only adjustment on the free wheel side is a single nut which goes up against the bearing seal. I wondering if I am missing a part or is that the way it is supposed to be? anyone familiar with this setup?
"Where ever we go, there we are"
how about a pic? you sure it is not a cassette?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-19-2015, 10:09 PM)painkiller Wrote:  how about a pic? you sure it is not a cassette?

i will post a pic tomorrow. the non freewheel side has the traditional bearing cup/lock nut set up. the freewheel side is different with a bearing seal being the first thing you see when you remove the locknut which doesnt seem to lock up against anything.  I got called for dinner as I was ready to remove it and am finished for the day. the bike is quite old. i have never run into a cassette up to now
(07-19-2015, 09:58 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  I picked up Nishiki Custom Sport with what I think is a Shimano 600 freewheel. Odd set up. The freewheel has the axel bearings were the freewheel removal tool would normally go. the only adjustment on the free wheel side is a single nut which goes up against the bearing seal. I wondering if I am missing a part or is that the way it is supposed to be? anyone familiar with this setup?

Here is the picture with the plastic bearing cap seal, washer and locknut removed.
[Image: IMG_00002737_zps7no0ogog.jpg~original]
It is not a freewheel, it is a cassette.

You need two chain whips or equivalent to remove the cassette.  The lock ring for the cassette is the smallest cog.

See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

You have a Uniglide cassette.
Nigel
Thanks Nigel. First one I have see..
I greased the wheel bearing, bottom bracket and did the other adjusting and now,it is ready for sale.
Not pretty but everything works.
[Image: IMG_00002740_zpsiu90koza.jpg~original]
(07-20-2015, 05:19 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  I greased the wheel bearing, bottom bracket and did the other adjusting and now,it is ready for sale.

$5 and 15 minutes to rewrap the bars and I'd think you'd up the sale price $20+
Also, please flip the seat post clamp around the way it's supposed to be. It's hurting my eyes... Smile
(07-20-2015, 06:19 PM)DaveM Wrote:  
(07-20-2015, 05:19 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  I greased the wheel bearing, bottom bracket and did the other adjusting and now,it is ready for sale.

$5 and 15 minutes to rewrap the bars and I'd think you'd up the sale price $20+
Also, please flip the seat post clamp around the way it's supposed to be. It's hurting my eyes... Smile

Ok Dave. I paid $18 and have a buyer just call at $140. If he doesn't take it I'll do what you suggest. How much more would I get? I sold six bikes last week, one had new tires and all the rest were improved with my labour only. Craigs List buyers want good and cheap. They are not willing to pay for new parts, tape included in the low range.
Hard to say of course and there are others on this list that do a lot more buying and selling than I have. But I've found that in general people respond to cosmetics more than they think they do. I wouldn't waste a lot of time or money. But a quick clean up or little things like bar tape make a bike look a lot nicer and give's the impression it's been "taken care of". It's great you're doing the important stuff like bearings. A lot of sellers don't (or even lie about it).

I know from the repair business that when I did a 60 second clean up on the bike people consistently thought we did a better job fixing their mechanical problem than when we didn't clean the bike even though it had zero to do with how the bike actually worked. 

Possibly Related Threads...