Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
'78 Schwinn Caliente rebuild
Recently received this bike from the parents since I moved into the city. I tried to take it to a local bike shop but they said it was better to just buy a new bike instead of trying to update.

Sorry to sound repetitive but I am new to bicycling and have no idea what I am doing. I am willing to learn and I have patience. Yes, I understand that I could more than likely get a bike on Craigslist in running order for the same price for what I'm going to put into this project. I want to be able to ride something that I have built up with my own hands. Anyways onto the bike.

As I said its a 1978 Schwinn Caliente, right now it is just a frame (which has minor surface rust on) with all the parts in little baggies labeled what I think they are. I know it needs tires, shift and brake cables and a rear derailleur. The rear derailleur that was on it is a Shimano Positron II and needs to be either replaced or cleaned of the rust and grime. The crankset has a slight wobble. I'm sure I will be slapping some new brakes on there also.

I guess my questions are what parts should i be on the look out for and what should I work on next after I have the frame cleaned up? If anybody has any suggestions on what I should do next or what parts I should be on the look out for, I am all ears. Thank you for reading.

(in process of taking pictures of things for all to see)
[img]20150805_215121<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/img]

[img]20150805_215026<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/img]

[img]20150805_214925<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/img]

[img]20150805_214907<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/img]

[img]20150805_214842<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]

[img]20150805_214821<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"&gt;&lt;/script>[/img]

[img]20150805_214741<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"&gt;&lt;/script>[/img]

[img]20150805_214709