Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

No spindle in the bottom bracket?
Hi,

It seems like there's no spindle in bottom bracket, because when I try to take off the crankset with removal tool, then there is nothing against the bolt to push and you can see hole through the bottom bracket. Do you understand me? How should I take off crankset if there's nothing I can push against?
pics a big help here, sounds like you have a hollow spindle. a normal crank remover will not work here. you may have a isis bottom bracket same thing. you may have an out board bearing type no puller needed. you need this tool more than likely, it has a disc you slip in the spindle to push against so it will pull the crank arm off.
http://www.parktool.com/product/universal-crank-puller-for-square-taper-and-splined-cranks-cwp-7
buy this type. do not buy the type with a built in handle they suck and hurt the hand.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thank you for reply painkiller but I'm still lost. I'm sending the pictures http://www.photo-host.org/images/2015/09/16/Y6Ta9.jpg http://www.photo-host.org/images/2015/09/16/RtYIZAmiP.jpg

It might be isis as you say however I'm not sure. Any idea?
looks like a octalink v1 or v2 . 8 spline. The park puller should work. standard cartridge bb removal tool if removing that. Take a look at this link to tell between the v1 and v2. you will know once the crank is off. your crank looks like it could seized on.
second reason not to buy a puller with a lever built in.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#shimano
you must have an older style puller. There is only a fraction of an inch of meat that the new puller utilizes to get the push pull you need. I would squirt some solvent on yours and let soak a bit before attempting to remove. Make sure to use some grease on things before reassembly. you must have removed the crank bolt already. they differ from a square taper bolt as the threaded part is much fatter and does not really look like a bolt
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Your information is very helpful. It seems like I have crank puller for square taper which is not suitable for octalink. As you say I need park tool for octalink bottom backet. I also made mistake buying square taper crankset without knowing which type of my bottom bracket is. Now I need new tool, new parts and some grease to make it happen.

Thank you very much Painkiller! Smile
you are vague on exactly what and why you are replacing and taking apart. If you bought a square taper crank, just buy a square taper Bottom bracket the proper length for the crank you bought. . The puller I recommended will do square, isis, octalink. more than one way to skin a cat as they say! good luck, let us know how it comes out.

Possibly Related Threads...