Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Venting against Mayflower
We moved from Chicagoland to Mountains of NC in July....

My 1980 Peugeot U09 front Derailleur got  bent way out of shape by the movers...

Knowing the availability of 1980 era French Simplex parts, I had a day while I awaited the remaining furniture, and I took the Front derailleur apart, carefully straightened the metalwork  on a flat metal vise to the point where (I felt) it was back to "normal", and put it back together and adjusted it.... and in about 8 hours, it actually worked!!   Tested it with 15min ride... Seems OK... 

I eventually had to put in a claim for a missing lamp, a destroyed jewlery case, and broken wheel on Oscilloscope cart, and at the time informed them of the bike damage, in-ability to find replacement parts, and money I saved them on this.... I asked for a small re-imbursement for the repair.... for my time.

I find out today that they will not pay a penny for the bicycle... Not even a thank you for saving them money...
I had asked one local shop about it, and he said he'd write off bike due to in-availability of parts, and set a value of $300 on the bike.  This was not my intent... I would rather keep my 1980 bike than  buy new..
Taking it to second shop tomorrow, as after I told him the sequence of events, He wants to see bike.... and will go to bat for me if necessary....

The attitude I received was as if I was trying to defraud their company, instead of trying to make the best of a potentially bad situation!
Seems Mayflower is like a fish out of water! Hench the ole If you want it done right, ya gotta do it yourself!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I called two bike shops...  One a month ago, and a second one after receiving information that I would get no re-reimbursement from Mayflower...

First one obviously didn't want to deal with an old French bike..  Over phone he said that parts were not available, and  he'd write off the bike because of that...   end of story.
When I reported that to Mayflower, they were un-impressed!

A couple days ago, I did a search for another bike shop, and called them, and spoke with the owner, an older fellow (about my own age), who indicated the first shop I called, the answer I received wasn't exactly correct.

It turns out, he has a mid 1980's Peugeot (I saw it yesterday when I visited there-- beautiful bike, perfectly restored!)
He gave me information that the repair I did WAS SUCCESSFUL, and gave me information on what would have happened if I had not repaired it, and had him work on it...  He'd use a new front derailleur that had shims to fit the French frame dimensions.....  About $35 for parts, $25 for labor!

He said he would be willing to speak with Mayflower, and so I passed all his information on to Mayflower, and we'll see what develops!!!

Ongoing...  
Hope it works out, I will send some Karma your way! Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
  • "You have advised that you saved us money, however you did not claim an amount for the bike, the repair, or the parts. You stated only that you repaired the bike".   (Actually, I requested they re-imburse me for my time for this repair.  Silly me: expecting them to do the "right thing".)
  • In Addition they said: "As per the settlement letter dated September 23[sup]rd[/sup], you can dispute the settlement through independent arbitration".
  • Well.... Even though it was bent and twisted, I was able to dis-assemble it, straighten it, re-assemble it, and re-align it.
  • The  bike's front  derailleur works fine... Bike shop indicates it's OK. 
  • I probably will never use Mayflower ever again...
  • You folks know the great amount of work that I did on the total Re-Build that was done to this bike last fall & winter.... Heck!  You folks Spoon-Fed me step-by-step instructions!!!   I am very proud of the work done it, And,
  • When it came off the truck damaged, knowing the availability of parts, I  started in on the repair immediately.
  • It was only when other things were found lost or destroyed that I contacted Mayflower, and from day 1 on talking to them I received attitude from them....   Throwing their weight around...  They requested I not discuss about any damage on the 3 items, until the lost item was found.....  When it wasn't found I was told to submit paperwork.  After I submitted paperwork I was never contacted for anything... A decision was made, and I was told that's what will happen..... Period.  On top of this, I have the letter, but no check...
  • Thanks for listening.... Hopefully my next post will be back on track on bicycle repair....    Phooey!

I have no idea how all those formatting commands got into the post.... But I did copy and paste from an email...

Goes along with the rest of the thread, doesn't it?  Smile!
Well... I at least got a check for the other damages and the lamp that was packed in Illinois and wasn't on the truck when it got to NC!

I guess bicycles don't count, though!
Movers: ALL are BAD, some are worse.

If you are moving, and do not want something damaged; build a box from 2x2 (min 2x4 even better) and 7/16" (¾" is better) plywood.  Make sure that the item cannot move inside the box.  I did this for my '82 AR9 speakers.  On our move to CA my bike was damaged.  Next move, the bicycles will be far better protected.

Also, sell/abandon/donate/give away everything that does not have sentimental value.  The cost of moving it is more that the replacement cost.
Nigel
Movers: ALL are BAD, some are worse.

If you are moving, and do not want something damaged; build a box from 2x2 (min 2x4 even better) and 7/16" (¾" is better) plywood.  Make sure that the item cannot move inside the box.  I did this for my '82 AR9 speakers.  On our move to CA my bike was damaged.  Next move, the bicycles will be far better protected.

Also, sell/abandon/donate/give away everything that does not have sentimental value.  The cost of moving it is more that the replacement cost.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We moved recently from LA to Texas. No problems just picked our movers carefully. Mayflower had too many complaints against them so we passed. We used King Relocation Service , its employee owned and we liked that....We packed our own stuff, what a headache. Too much stuff.

For part of our move we used a POD hired a experienced crew to load it and than locked it up and put in storage to follow us when we were ready. Got it delivered and hired a crew to unload it. Bikes shipped fine and they were just loaded and tied to wall.

My motorcycle was shipped by Federal, no problems.
Never Give Up!!!
(09-30-2015, 12:20 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Movers: ALL are BAD, some are worse.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We moved recently from LA to Texas. No problems just picked our movers carefully. Mayflower had too many complaints against them so we passed. We used King Relocation Service , its employee owned and we liked that....We packed our own stuff, what a headache. Too much stuff.

For part of our move we used a POD hired a experienced crew to load it and than locked it up and put in storage to follow us when we were ready. Got it delivered and hired a crew to unload it. Bikes shipped fine and they were just loaded and tied to wall.

My motorcycle was shipped by Federal, no problems.
[/quote]

I think this post should be moved to a disgruntled moving forum? I don't see what it has to do about bicycle maintenance?
"Where ever we go, there we are"
Well it does have to do with advice on documenting and collecting for bike damage from Mayflower, followed by advice on how to ship a bike safety. That's bike related. If all you read is the disgruntled part you missed the point. This list is about more than just maintenance.
Never Give Up!!!
I am sure at this point, Alex would take any post, anytime, about anything, anywhere as long as the word bicycle is mentioned in one form or another! Sad
(10-01-2015, 01:11 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Well it does have to do with advice on documenting and collecting for bike damage from Mayflower, followed by advice on how to ship a bike safety. That's bike related. If all you read is the disgruntled part you missed the point. This list is about more than just  maintenance.

Maybe you are reading a different post then I'm seeing up top George?

This thread has really slowed down since we cannot post pics right from out tablets into our posts.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
It is mostly my fault Elmore, They say my humor is an acquired taste. Seems like on a Global scale even. I could never reveal to world that I have never ever really wrenched on a bike in my life! ( Just Kidding ) Smile
(10-01-2015, 10:34 AM)painkiller Wrote:  It is mostly my fault Elmore, They say my humor is an acquired taste. Seems like on a Global scale even. I could never reveal to world that I have never ever really wrenched on a bike in my life! ( Just Kidding ) Smile

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shame on you PK, for whatever you think you did........:-)))
Never Give Up!!!
(10-01-2015, 11:57 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  
(10-01-2015, 10:34 AM)painkiller Wrote:  It is mostly my fault Elmore, They say my humor is an acquired taste. Seems like on a Global scale even. I could never reveal to world that I have never ever really wrenched on a bike in my life! ( Just Kidding ) Smile

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shame on you PK, for whatever you think you did........:-)))

Thanks George, I blame it on the fact that I am the youngest child born a Sagittarius!
Thanks or your replies....  I indicated I was venting Smile!

Was told special boxing was not necessary for bikes...   If I had known, I should have pushed the issue...

Wife's 1970 Gitane Mixte made it through move without an issue....

Once this rain is finished, I hope to go for a ride and maybe even build the receiver bike rack I bought,  but never got to try while in IL...