Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Front fork found at 'thrift' store
I was at a local 'thrift' store and saw in the corner an old Peugeot front fork assembly that has the same decals and color as my 1980 Peugeot metalic blue U09, except that the bottom half of fork is chromed....

My U09 front forks are solid blue, top to bottom.

When I picked up the fork seemed lighter than I recalled mine being when I overhauled it last year.

Bottom Bearing seat looks good.   I didn't have a camera with me, so no photo...

I know my U09 is a steel frame....  Maybe this is from a lighter/fancier model?

Wondering....   Only because it looks fancier, and color matches what I own...

Any guess if you think the part is inter-changeable?    
It could very well be a better quality fork of better steel and of the same era. It needs to be the same length steerer as yours or longer to fit your bike if you want to go that route, and of course the same diameter.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Did you purchase it?  I would have.
Nigel
I'm going back there Tuesday armed with the length of fork neck, length from fork inside to axle cutouts, and width of fork at axle cutouts....
My Tires are 27" x 1 1/4"   Off the top of my head I could not determine just looking at the forks if it was 26 or 27 forks.   I'm guessing there were only these two types?
That should be sufficient...

More later.... Smile!
Price - don't pay more than $20-, preferably less than $10-.

types - many many, unfortunately or fortunately.  

The wheel size installed is also no very useful.  Crown race to axle distance, rake and trail are key dimensions [Image: fork-trail.jpg]

And how important each is varies by application and user.....

I have installed a pink Bianchi road bike for intended for 23-622 tires on a white Trek 950 with 32-559 tires, it required a Tektro R559 brake.  I paid $25- for the fork for the Shimano 600 headset that came with it for another project.

Many "26 inch" (ETRTO 590) wheeled bikes came with plenty of clearance for "27 inch" (ETRTO 630) wheels back in the day.

If the threaded portion is long enough to fit your bike frame, purchase it, then work on the other details at home. 
Nigel
going armed with photo of my bike with dimensions from your post written on it!
Top part of fork is too short.   My guess it was for a smaller size bike.

Did not buy it.
On many forks, it is not too difficult to replace the steerer tube, especially if the rest of the fork is desireable.
Nigel
Nigel: I thought that a press was required for inserting a steering tube into the fork. I have a 2005 Trek RST fork that actually pins the steerer tube with two hex bolts. I think that is no longer offered. Prob a liability issue, tho if done correctly removed the necessity for the press ?

Regards, ed
(03-26-2016, 04:32 PM)SteadyEddie Wrote:  Nigel: I thought that a press was required for inserting a steering tube into the fork. I have a 2005 Trek RST fork that actually pins the steerer tube with two hex bolts. I think that is no longer offered. Prob a liability issue, tho if done correctly removed the necessity for the press ?

Regards, ed

Hi Ed;

A suitable press is not difficult to make from high grade threaded rod, washers and high grade bolts - and a generous amount of grease.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...