Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
Chain skip
I've  a 9speed DA that is fine going up & down the gearing, but put a load on 1st, 2nd & sometime, the chain skips. I cannot get my indexing right to get rid of it, any thoughts?
Most common cause of this is worn chain and rear gear cluster (cassette).
You can measure for chain stretch and visually inspect cassette, but this kind of skipping can happen even before there is a huge amount of obvious wear on the parts. Usually recommended to replace both parts at the same time unless you have a strong reason to think only one is worn.
(10-09-2015, 04:42 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Most common cause of this is worn chain and rear gear cluster (cassette).
You can measure for chain stretch and visually inspect cassette, but this kind of skipping can happen even before there is a huge amount of obvious wear on the parts. Usually recommended to replace both parts at the same time unless you have a strong reason to think only one is worn.

+1

Other possibilities (less likely):
* a stiff link in the chain.
* inadequate chain lubrication.
* weak RD spring.
* chain too long.
Nigel
(10-09-2015, 06:19 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(10-09-2015, 04:42 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Most common cause of this is worn chain and rear gear cluster (cassette).

+1

Other possibilities (less likely):
* a stiff link in the chain.
* inadequate chain lubrication.
* weak RD spring.
* chain too long.

Chain is new. Likely i didnt cut the length correctly, first time using a removable link chain. Or it is the cassete, it has about 3k mileson it?
Check the length first. But putting a new chain on an old cassette (even one without that many miles) is a very typical cause of the sudden appearance of chain skip under load. Chains and cassettes "wear into each other" and it's common to have problems when you change one but not the other.
(10-09-2015, 12:38 AM)mastermartymo Wrote:  I've  a 9speed DA that is fine going up & down the gearing, but put a load on 1st, 2nd & sometime, the chain skips. I cannot get my indexing right to get rid of it, any thoughts?

Maybe a dumb question but are you using a 9 speed chain? They are different then a ten 8 speed chain I'm told. Slightly thinner I believe.
"Where ever we go, there we are"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear derailleur chain skip fredjunk2005 4 8,183 05-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Joe_W
  Pedals skip while in 7th cog (highest gear) Tricericops 2 9,411 07-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Last Post: RobAR
  Shift/skip every 1 1/2 revolutioins LeeS773 1 4,307 08-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Last Post: xerxes
  Rear skip/autoshift on skewr tension change Paul_Bags 1 6,318 03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Last Post: DaveM