Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

SRAM X0 trigger shifter with Shimano Front Derailleur?

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
gregw Offline

SRAM X0 trigger shifter with Shimano Front Derailleur?
I'm upgrading my Dahon MU SL folding bike from 9 to 18 speeds by adding a 2nd chainring in front.

I want to use an SRAM X9 or X0 trigger shift as the bike has a flat bar instead of a bull/drop bar, and the bike is currently equipped with X9 shifter/rear derailleurs.

The crank will have a 53T and 39T chainrings and are not compatible with SRAM X9 front derailleurs (48T max) due to the big 53T chainring.

I'm thinking of using a either SRAM Apex/Rival or Shimano 105/Tiagra front derailleurs, but want to use an SRAM X0 or X9 2 speed trigger shifter.

Are the Shimano or SRAM front derailleurs compatible with the indexing on the X0 or X9 trigger shifters?

Thanks for any info.
Dec 5, 2013 08:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bobtravers Offline

RE: SRAM X0 trigger shifter with Shimano Front Derailleur?
Since Shimano and SRAM use a 1:1 actuation for their front derailleur, it should do the job...
Dec 6, 2013 08:57 AM
gregw Offline

(Dec 6, 2013 08:57 AM)bobtravers Wrote:  Since Shimano and SRAM use a 1:1 actuation for their front derailleur, it should do the job...

Thanks for the info.
Dec 6, 2013 09:46 AM
vidger Offline

(Dec 5, 2013 08:51 PM)gregw Wrote:  I'm upgrading my Dahon MU SL folding bike from 9 to 18 speeds by adding a 2nd chainring in front.

I want to use an SRAM X9 or X0 trigger shift as the bike has a flat bar instead of a bull/drop bar, and the bike is currently equipped with X9 shifter/rear derailleurs.

The crank will have a 53T and 39T chainrings and are not compatible with SRAM X9 front derailleurs (48T max) due to the big 53T chainring.

I'm thinking of using a either SRAM Apex/Rival or Shimano 105/Tiagra front derailleurs, but want to use an SRAM X0 or X9 2 speed trigger shifter.

Are the Shimano or SRAM front derailleurs compatible with the indexing on the X0 or X9 trigger shifters?

Thanks for any info.

How did it work? I have a Dahon MuSL, what I am curious about...how did you mount the derailleur in front? There isnt a lot of room there, and my bike has a chain catcher mounted in there also.

Any advice? I would like to do the same thing!.

Don
Jan 21, 2014 09:27 PM
gregw Offline

(Jan 21, 2014 09:27 PM)vidger Wrote:  How did it work? I have a Dahon MuSL, what I am curious about...how did you mount the derailleur in front? There isnt a lot of room there, and my bike has a chain catcher mounted in there also.

Don

Just got the parts together.. Haven't put them on the bike yet. Ended up getting a X0 shift and a Shimano 105 front derailleur. For the FD mount, I bought http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3145438447 locally.

You can buy a similar one from Thor USA at: http://www.thorusa.com/accessories/special.htm (look for 'Dahon MU front derailleur hanger')

You replace the chain catcher with the front derailleur hanger and mount the front derailleur there. For the crank, replace the chain ring guard with the 53T, and put the 39T chainring inside. That should be it.
Jan 22, 2014 01:37 AM
vidger Offline

(Jan 22, 2014 01:37 AM)gregw Wrote:  
(Jan 21, 2014 09:27 PM)vidger Wrote:  How did it work? I have a Dahon MuSL, what I am curious about...how did you mount the derailleur in front? There isnt a lot of room there, and my bike has a chain catcher mounted in there also.

Don

Just got the parts together.. Haven't put them on the bike yet. Ended up getting a X0 shift and a Shimano 105 front derailleur. For the FD mount, I bought http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3145438447 locally.

You can buy a similar one from Thor USA at: http://www.thorusa.com/accessories/special.htm (look for 'Dahon MU front derailleur hanger')

You replace the chain catcher with the front derailleur hanger and mount the front derailleur there. For the crank, replace the chain ring guard with the 53T, and put the 39T chainring inside. That should be it.

I have got all the parts and started...NOW...

any suggestions for installing cable housing stop. Know of any cable stop adapters, etc that you can mount to the (?bottom) of the Bottom Bracket?

appreciate all the help
Don
Jan 28, 2014 07:27 PM
gregw Offline

(Jan 28, 2014 07:27 PM)vidger Wrote:  I have got all the parts and started...NOW...

any suggestions for installing cable housing stop. Know of any cable stop adapters, etc that you can mount to the (?bottom) of the Bottom Bracket?

appreciate all the help
Don

Still haven't started putting it together yet, but the FD hanger I bought appears to have a cable stop built-in so there should not be a need for me to rig a cable stop under the bottom bracket. However, on closer inspection, it doesn't seem to be cleanly in line with the cable attachment on the 105 FD, so I may have to rig up something under the bottom bracket if the location on the hanger causes too much friction. Will just have to try and see.
Jan 28, 2014 07:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sram Rival fd makin me crazy! fishboy316 10 244 Yesterday 04:12 AM
Last Post: fishboy316
  Trouble with chain & rear derailleur pulleys generic_cyclist 5 379 Apr 11, 2014 10:35 PM
Last Post: generic_cyclist
  Front derailluer Question Joshman_75 3 282 Apr 8, 2014 03:03 PM
Last Post: Joshman_75
  Where to buy derailluer for shimano havoc franksevers 1 232 Apr 6, 2014 01:40 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Front derailleur dakawan 3 326 Apr 5, 2014 01:18 PM
Last Post: dakawan
  Shimano TX35 Rear Derailleur Ebernal32 5 368 Apr 3, 2014 12:11 PM
Last Post: Ebernal32
  Rear shifter not connected to tensioned cable? insurgasaurus 5 408 Mar 31, 2014 10:00 AM
Last Post: insurgasaurus
  Rear derailleur problem, chain rubbing the lower pulley cage grandmaster 15 1,165 Mar 18, 2014 07:54 PM
Last Post: grandmaster
  Ultegra 600 STI Shifter compatibility questions SlowestPoke 9 884 Mar 3, 2014 06:47 AM
Last Post: SlowestPoke
  Tiagra Rear Derailleur Won't Shift CheddarExpress 2 675 Feb 20, 2014 12:33 AM
Last Post: Joe_W