Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Adjusting my front derailleur
Hey Alex,
Your video helped a lot, however I still am having some trouble adjusting my front derailleur. When I turn the screws for the upper and lower limits I don't notice anything changing in terms of the positioning of the cage on the front derailleur. When ever I have the front gear in the middle cog and the rear in the largest cog it is rubbing on the inside of the cage and no matter how I tighten or loosen the upper and lower limit screws on the front derailleur I don't seem to notice a change. Do you have any advice? Should I tighten or loosen the screws more and if so which ones? I have a Shimano Sora front derailleur if that helps... thanks so much and thank you for the videos they have been very helpful.
--Mike

Oh and if any one else on the forum can help feel free to give me advice.
Much appreciated
--mike

The low-limit screw should move the cage in and out a very small amount (at 1/4 turn increments you really have to watch to see it move). The high-limit screw stops the cage from moving past a certain point.
You want the cage so it doesn't rub on the chain or anything else in the lowest gear. It might be necessary to tweak the derailleur angle as <a HREF="http://bikeride.com/adjust-front-derailer/">described in this video</a> starting at about 0:14.
Of course, I find that being precise on front derailleur tuning can be a very tricky thing, so if you can get it close to right, you'll be doing great. Keep trying though - I know it's not an easy thing to get there. But you'll get it.

Why is it that they make adult bikes that'll generally work for 5'9" or above, yet when you pedal these same bikes they only work for someone who is 5'4" or so?
The high and low limit screws only adjust the position of the the derailleur with respect to the largest and smallest front chainrings. With your shifter set on "1" for the front you should use the low limit screw to move the cage so it just clears the chain, and with it set on "3" use the high limit screw to do the same. Also make sure that the cage won't push the chain off either way when you adjust it. To move the cage when you are on the center chainring you'll need to use the barrel adjuster that should be located at your shift lever. You may want to review the video again for more clarification. Good luck.

I cant seem to change to the smallest ring on the front.It works when i adjust it on the workstand, but when im on the bike puting pressure on the pedals the chain just keeps clicking and doesnt move over?

Try backing out the lower limit screw in very small increments. There is no exact correct position for these. You are trying to find the spot that balances good shifting with not allowing the chain to fall off.
It is common for the bike to shift a little different on the road than in the stand. You may be putting too much pressure on the pedals while you are trying to shift. But play with the limit a little to see if you can find a happy balance.

Possibly Related Threads...