Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

7 speed block

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
limey Offline

7 speed block
My bike and myself are now antiques. I have a wheel (which I recently rebuilt) that has a Campy thread-on 7 speed block. It is now apparent that it is badly worn and no longer acceptable. I cannot locate a compatible replacement and I was scratching my head and thinking whether it would be any easier to find an 8 speed. I certainly no longer use the 11 tooth sprocket so I would be happy never being able to shift to it. I believe that the cog spacing on 7 and 8 are the same, so it should work.
Can anyone give me any help with this problem? Thanks.
Jan 13, 2014 09:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
RE: 7 speed block
Hi Limey;

Most of us on this board are not familiar with Campy. I would suggest that you check out:
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/181-Classic-amp-Vintage
where there are a significant number of people with Campy.

From: http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html it appears that Campy 8 speed spacing is 5.0mm; the same as Shimano compatible 7 speed.

You said thread on block; which in USA terms is a freewheel, a very different animal from a cassette - not interchangeable.
http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

All Campy 8 speeds are cassettes, not freewheels (thread on block).

If you have a freewheel, an 11T sprocket is unlikely. Suntour had a 12T, but just about everyone else was 13T or 14T for the smallest sprocket.

Also, I you have a freewheel, you are not limited to Campy; other brands should work. Personally, I have had poor experience with Shimano, and good with DNP, SRAM and Sunrace.

Nigel
Jan 13, 2014 10:27 AM
limey Offline

(Jan 13, 2014 10:27 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Hi Limey;

Most of us on this board are not familiar with Campy. I would suggest that you check out:
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/181-Classic-amp-Vintage
where there are a significant number of people with Campy.

From: http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html it appears that Campy 8 speed spacing is 5.0mm; the same as Shimano compatible 7 speed.

You said thread on block; which in USA terms is a freewheel, a very different animal from a cassette - not interchangeable.
http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

All Campy 8 speeds are cassettes, not freewheels (thread on block).

If you have a freewheel, an 11T sprocket is unlikely. Suntour had a 12T, but just about everyone else was 13T or 14T for the smallest sprocket.

Also, I you have a freewheel, you are not limited to Campy; other brands should work. Personally, I have had poor experience with Shimano, and good with DNP, SRAM and Sunrace.

Thanks. I didn't realize that when campy went to 8 speed, that they changed from spin-on (threaded) to cassette type - that blows my idea out of the water. I guess that I have to keep searching for 7 speed and any compatible brand will be fine.
Jan 13, 2014 04:09 PM
1FJEF Offline
Veteran Member

Northern Mexico (Central CA)
Do you have the tool to remove the old freewheel, or are you going to destroy/remove?
Any 7 speed freewheel should work as your bike does not have indexed shifting (you said antique).
Jan 14, 2014 11:58 AM
limey Offline

Hi Jef, I made a tool to remove thread on blocks, so I will be removing. It should be fairly loose cos I've only done one ride on it since refitting it. Actually I do have index shifting. A few years ago , Sachs made 7 speed index shifters unders contract from Campy and I fitted those. With some fine tuning, they work well enough with my Shimano Ultegra wheel too. At the moment I am trying to locate a 7 speed block that will screw onto a Campy hub which I presume is Italian thread. Not worried about brand, Regina, Suntour etc., but I don't want to pay $250 for an antique Campy Record. If push comes to shove, I'll have to break the wheel down again, buy a 7 / 8 cassette hub and rebuild it.
Jan 14, 2014 12:22 PM
1FJEF Offline
Veteran Member

Northern Mexico (Central CA)
So it's not that ancient! Do a simple test fit to check the thread, a local shop or friend should have something to test with. If not an excellent hardware store (ironmongers) can gauge the thread pitch.
I thought campy indexed was different from shimano.
Jan 14, 2014 01:13 PM
limey Offline

It is slightly different, but as I said earlier, my days of using the smallcog are over, so if I adjust within the range I use, I can set it so that it's smooth.

My problem right now is with my spare wheels, I hadn't used the Campy block in a couple of years and when I rebuilt the hub and reused it, I found that it was 'grinding' under pressure. Plus it wouldn't change smoothly - the chain wants to jump multiple cogs. I will be fitting a new chain, but from experience, I know that the block is most to blame.
Jan 14, 2014 02:05 PM
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
(Jan 14, 2014 01:13 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  ...
I thought campy indexed was different from shimano.
That varies with the number of speeds (cog) in the cassette/freewheel. See Sheldon's cribsheet (link in my 1st post above)

Nigel
Jan 14, 2014 06:37 PM
limey Offline

In practice, using the Campy designed 7 speed index shifters on a Shimano 7 speed block, results in a slight chain rubbing at the extremes as the slight spacing difference builds up. If you discount the line-up on one cog (small) and adjust the changes between the remaining 6, you get almost if not perfect shifting. If you want to use the entire block, you have to accept a slight rub .

Since I have problems with my Campy set up at this time, I will be swapping to my Shimano wheel today and will be problem free. I will continue my search for a suitable thread-on block. Thanks everyone.
Jan 15, 2014 06:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Convert down tube shifter to STI shifters with Campag 980 6 x 2 speed JoeHigh 6 820 Sep 8, 2014 01:36 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Help with 10 speed Freestyle DSGBicycles 7 730 Aug 28, 2014 02:04 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Stuck gear shift on Next womens 18 speed robynfla133 1 1,190 May 11, 2014 08:41 AM
  Alternative to a Shimano Alivio M410 7-8 Speed rear derailleur? Porridge 6 5,523 Nov 26, 2013 12:47 PM
  8-speed shifter and derailleur with 7-speed sprocket? smmr89 8 4,354 Nov 3, 2013 01:18 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF
  Internal 7 speed Sram Spectro s7 hub rokisr 2 3,877 Sep 12, 2013 04:50 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  6 rear gear with 14 speed shifter ??? hero1900 8 3,833 Oct 9, 2012 01:04 AM
Last Post: xerxes
  Shimano 105 derailer fit new 7 speed cassette? crashq 7 7,008 Aug 15, 2012 08:40 AM
Last Post: Joe_W
  Single speed to 12 speed mynameisamyw 6 4,998 Jun 5, 2012 04:30 PM
Last Post: xerxes
  Shimano 9-speed rsx shifters daveyp53 3 4,545 Jan 31, 2012 10:03 AM
Last Post: RBurrelli