Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Schwinn Meridan Project
Ok I need to know if this is even possible? I noticed on other sites there are 6speed and 7 speed Adult tricycles. I was pondering the idea of modifying a Schwinn Meridian 2008 model into maybe a 6speed. Before I go any further is that even possible without getting into major work?

If so, then what about expanding that idea into a 12speed by swapping out its current crank with an older Schwinn 10speed crank? Yes I know it would need a front derailleur. Is this even worth the effort? Thanks for ANY input.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hey Bill, would you be able to post some detail photos of your current tricycle's setup?

It may be possible, but would likely require a lot of customization.
(11-30-2009, 07:34 PM)Alex Ramon Wrote:  Hey Bill, would you be able to post some detail photos of your current tricycle's setup?

It may be possible, but would likely require a lot of customization.

Yes definitely. It is all original setup right now, hope that is ok? Can't get the photos until tomorrow because of lighting.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(09-23-2009, 01:22 PM)Bill Wrote:  Ok I need to know if this is even possible? I noticed on other sites there are 6speed and 7 speed Adult tricycles. I was pondering the idea of modifying a Schwinn Meridian 2008 model into maybe a 6speed. Before I go any further is that even possible without getting into major work?

If so, then what about expanding that idea into a 12speed by swapping out its current crank with an older Schwinn 10speed crank? Yes I know it would need a front derailleur. Is this even worth the effort? Thanks for ANY input.

Yes it can be done.Just get the parts for a ten speed bicycle and start to work on it. If you have never took of a crank set of a reg bicycle and replace the bearing or clean them then its going to be harder on you to do this job. You just have to think it threw and plan ahead. You can get most of the parts at http://www.BikePartsUSA.com

I have used them a lot to fix bicycles for people around here. Worth the effort you bet it will be. It always makes me smile when I see someone happy that I have fix there bicycle for them and I never charge them either this is about the only way I can help people and I like to see the look on there faces when they come to pick it up. So is this trike for you or some one? Either way I think you will enjoy working on it. It sure will put you to the test for sure you will think why am I doing this lol The only answer will be for the fun of it and fun it will be. And that Schwinn Meridian is a great trike my wife has the same trike and she loves it.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Hi KDC,

Thank you very much for your help. The Trike is for me (currently own one) and after riding it about 50 miles or more, a couple extra gears will be a must. Thanks to everyone here ,since Sept this year, I have expanded my knowledge about bicycles more then I ever knew before. Helping people out without charging them is a great feeling. As far as this project goes it is a well "back burner" thing until we get a warmer day then HI temp 15 degrees F . Then I can take it out of my storage garage, remove all the wheels, and take it inside to my little Bike Shack (basement area Wink) where it is warmer. Then it is time to give it a good break down, cleaning, and then mods.
(12-24-2009, 12:52 AM)Bill Wrote:  Hi KDC,

Thank you very much for your help. The Trike is for me (currently own one) and after riding it about 50 miles or more, a couple extra gears will be a must. Thanks to everyone here ,since Sept this year, I have expanded my knowledge about bicycles more then I ever knew before. Helping people out without charging them is a great feeling. As far as this project goes it is a well "back burner" thing until we get a warmer day then HI temp 15 degrees F . Then I can take it out of my storage garage, remove all the wheels, and take it inside to my little Bike Shack (basement area Wink) where it is warmer. Then it is time to give it a good break down, cleaning, and then mods.

You will also have to make a bracket to hang a derailleur on your trike its not hard to do just look at a bicycle and see how it is there do about the same thing for the trike.And you can get any Freewheels/Cassettes you like to use. You will need a chain whip to take off the old one.If you don't have one you can use a old chain and a pair of vise grips to hold the chain with but you will need this tool here its a Park Freewheel Remover FR-1 For Shimano Freewheels- you can get this at Amazon.com 8.99 = shipping or you could take it to a bicycle shop and they may do it for free if you was here I would do it for you at no cost I just like helping people odd now dyas for sure.I think you will enjoy work on your trike.Its funny how I don't mind helping people but when it comes time for my bicycle it scares me a little lol like today it took me almost 6 hours to install front and rear racks to my Surly LHT but they was the surly nice racks the front one was the killer man it was a booger to do.Any way if I can help you on any of this let me know and I will try my best have a great Xmas and a Happy New Year.P.S. and if you want even more gears add a new front chain ring I use a 28,38,48t chain ring on ours here.And you will need a front derailleur to go with it too. and the cables for both.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Well noted and thank you very much.
Hi I’m new here and just learning. Trying to get a trike that would work for me with lowest cash output. I’m wondering if the meridian could be modified with a recumbent seat with the longer handle bars to match? I’m wanting that seat for my back to be supported best. Thank you!!
I suggest looking for a recumbent trike.
Converting the Schwinn Meridian 2008 model to a 6-speed or 12-speed tricycle would be complex and time-consuming. Are you sure you wanna take on something like this?

For the 12 speed adjustments, I think you'll need to replace the crankset and the front derailleur. I don't think the parts from 10 speed are gonna work honestly because there's the shifter, and chain.

Do check this guy out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02nUs8aJvt8&ab_channel=SamPilgrim

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-09-2016, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Bill

01-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Last Post: elmore leonard