Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Just joined this forum! I hope that this helps. thanks
Hello everyone!
I just joined this bike forum.
How is this Bike Forum everyone?
Im on here because my wife and I would ask for bike repair help.

My wife bought herself a decent looking bicycle,
the 24" 'ROADMASTER' "GranitePeak": at rider height= 4'6"~5'6" !!
Its brand new. She rode it around the block a few times along with our spaniel dog!
(Of course, she was using the collar and leash to keep our dog with her-lol.)
When she got back home, she told me that the bikes pedals were not able to turn anymore.
First of all, is this a good bike and secondly, what can be done to fix the pedals??
Thanks everyone!!
Hi and welcome!

First: I have never heard of that brand (riding more road bikes and CX), so I don't know (and I'm too lazy to look it up...) if it is a decent bike.

As to your actual question: That is insufficient information. What does not turn? Is it the pedals that are stuck on their axle, the cranks, the rear wheel, is the chain "free" or is something jammed? Maybe something rattled loose in the first couple of km, and got stuck somewhere? Maybe the brakes were not set up correctly (disc? rim?) and got stuck?
I'd start looking at the rear wheel. If that moves, look at chain and the rear déreailleur, then follow the chain to the crank set. Good luck in finding the error and get the bike on the road again soon!

Safe rindin'
Joe
(08-25-2016, 06:05 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Hi and welcome!

First: I have never heard of that brand (riding more road bikes and CX), so I don't know (and I'm too lazy to look it up...) if it is a decent bike.

As to your actual question: That is insufficient information. What does not turn? Is it the pedals that are stuck on their axle, the cranks, the rear wheel, is the chain "free" or is something jammed? Maybe something rattled loose in the first couple of km, and got stuck somewhere? Maybe the brakes were not set up correctly (disc? rim?) and got stuck?
I'd start looking at the rear wheel. If that moves, look at chain and the rear déreailleur, then follow the chain to the crank set. Good luck in finding the error and get the bike on the road again soon!

Safe rindin'
Joe
Hi Joe!
Thanks for your response. I didn't know about that particular type of bike brand either.
My wife is the one who had bought it very presently. It seems to be a very good bike for her.
My wife showed me a video that came with her new bike so I will review it again and fix/improve her bike today! Once I am done, later on I will post exactly what have to be done..I will possibly post that bike brand video here too.
Cheers!!
Its a $80 Walmart bike. We still do not know what does not work, but if you just got it take it back for repair. Typically they need greasing and oiling plus tune up. If it gets her riding its a good thing.
Never Give Up!!!
(08-25-2016, 09:16 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Its a $80 Walmart bike. We still do not know what does not work, but if you just got it take it back for repair. Typically they need greasing and oiling plus tune up. If it gets her riding its a good thing.
HELLO GeorgeET and thank you for your responses as well!
Thanks for your advise but I do not need to bring it back for repairs now because I DID improve it.
It did not have a serious problem after all...thankfully!
You are so right that it is a  "$80 Walmart bike".
My wife actually purchased it recently  for $70  ($10 off!)

It now seems to be a GOOD bike, especially for my beautiful wife!
I still have my own bicycle that i bought back in 1992!!
It is a 1992 Schwinn 'Express' bicycle and it is still in GOOD condition!
I can post photos of both bicycles later on this week.
Thats again everybody!!!
Hi DaveArtista,

it can be helpful to post the solution to the problem for people reading this later... I quite often look for solutions to problems (whatever subject, often programming) and really annoying is to find a person with the same problem that then either does not reply to the thread any more ore just says "never mind, it works".

Oh, and my touring bike is also from the 90s. I'll need to post a picture in the "show your bike" thread at some point. There's nothing wrong with older bikes - many (most?) here use old bikes...

Safe riding!
Joe

(another remark: try to use less bold font, it is quite "shouty"...)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-14-2022, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Jesper

05-01-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: LISA STUART

10-11-2021, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Lemon