Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Schwinn meridian rear drive axle [Solved]
Recently bought a slightly used 26" meridian trike. While replacing wider tires on the rear, I noticed an issue with the rear drive side wheel hub. The wheel is held on with a nut and single washer. The hub is not held firmly in a location on the axle and is able to slide back and forth on the axle a good half inch even though the nut is tightened all the way down to its bottom threads on the axle. The non drive side hub and wheel has very little play on its axle , perhaps a 1/8 inch and seems to run fine.

While the drive side hub slides back and forth and seems to be creating undue wear on the hub which is a hollow "D" shaped hub.
My question is should the rear axle have an even amount of axle sticking out of the bearings on both sides and thus allowing me to remove some of the play out of the drive side or was the rear axle designed this way for some reason to allow the drive hub to slide back and forth on the axle? To me it seems like if the play was removed the hub would not wallow out from sliding back and forth.
It looks like the solid rear axle is held on by two large nuts on each side seating it to the bearings and frame. Any help is appreciated.
Chuck
(09-15-2016, 07:31 AM)Slipinn Wrote:  Recently bought a slightly used 26" meridian trike. While replacing wider tires on the rear, I noticed an issue with the rear drive side wheel hub. The wheel is held on with a nut and single washer. The hub is not held firmly in a location on the axle and is able to slide back and forth on the axle a good half inch even though the nut is tightened all the way down to its bottom threads on the axle. The non drive side hub and wheel has very little play on its axle , perhaps a 1/8 inch and seems to run fine.

While the drive side hub slides back and forth and seems to be creating undue wear on the hub which is a hollow "D" shaped hub.
My question is should the rear axle have an even amount of axle sticking out of the bearings on both sides and thus allowing me to remove some of the play out of the drive side or was the rear axle designed this way for some reason to allow the drive hub to slide back and forth on the axle? To me it seems like if the play was removed the hub would not wallow out from sliding back and forth.
It looks like the solid rear axle is held on by two large nuts on each side seating  it to the bearings and frame. Any help is appreciated.
Chuck

Hey Chuck

Did you find a solution to your hub/axle issue? I also have a used Schwinn Meridian that I converted to 18 speeds. It does not have the play you described (if I understood correctly). Pictures would help. I was searching for replacement hubs (mine have severe external corrosion) when I found your post. I was shocked when I got to the end of it and saw that the poster lives in Bradenton! Which is where I live!

BTW, I really enjoy this Trike Alot, I have 8 other bikes ! But ride the Meridian almost every weekend to tow my Kayak to Palma Sola Bay or to go get groceries. If you want me to take a look at yours, depending on where your at I might be able to OR if you want to look at my trike for reference, just let me know.

Bruce (in Bradenton, near Cortez)
(11-19-2016, 08:23 AM)zebede Wrote:  
(09-15-2016, 07:31 AM)Slipinn Wrote:  Recently bought a slightly used 26" meridian trike. While replacing wider tires on the rear, I noticed an issue with the rear drive side wheel hub. The wheel is held on with a nut and single washer. The hub is not held firmly in a location on the axle and is able to slide back and forth on the axle a good half inch even though the nut is tightened all the way down to its bottom threads on the axle. The non drive side hub and wheel has very little play on its axle , perhaps a 1/8 inch and seems to run fine.

It looks like the solid rear axle is held on by two large nuts on each side seating  it to the bearings and frame. Any help is appreciated.
Chuck

Hey Chuck

Did you find a solution to your hub/axle issue? I also have a used Schwinn Meridian that I converted to 18 speeds. It does not have the play you described (if I understood correctly). Pictures would help. I was searching for replacement hubs (mine have severe external corrosion) when I found your post. I was shocked when I got to the end of it and saw that the poster lives in Bradenton! Which is where I live!

BTW, I really enjoy this Trike Alot, I have 8 other bikes ! But ride the Meridian almost every weekend to tow my Kayak to Palma Sola Bay or to go get groceries. If you want me to take a look at yours, depending on where your at I might be able to OR if you want to look at my trike for reference, just let me know.

Thanks for the reply Bruce. I did get it resolved and while it felt very tight it still had room to tighten more. That took out all the excessive play. I also ride mine down to Palma sola but on manatee ave. I also have a kayak but have not yet made a wheel set to pull it on. I need to do that soon. I made a wooden cargo box but have not added a hitch yet. The cargo box lets me store and lock things such as the lithium battery and tools and gear etc. would be interested in seeing your gear conversion.
Thank you
Chuck
(12-02-2016, 10:00 AM)Slipinn Wrote:  

Chuck

Hey Chuck

Did you find a solution to your hub/axle issue?  I also have a used Schwinn Meridian that I converted to 18 speeds. It does not have the play you described (if I understood correctly).  Pictures would help. I was searching for replacement hubs (mine have severe external corrosion) when I found your post.  I was shocked when I got to the end of it and saw that the poster lives in Bradenton! Which is where I live!

Thanks for the reply Bruce. I did get it resolved and while it felt very tight it still had room to tighten more. That took out all the excessive play. I also ride mine down to Palma sola but on manatee ave. I also have a kayak but have not yet made a wheel set to pull it on. I need to do that soon. I made a wooden cargo box but have not added a hitch yet. The cargo box lets me store and lock things such as the lithium battery and tools and gear etc. would be interested in seeing your gear conversion.
Thank you
Chuck

Chuck

Here are some pics of my Meridian drive train. It was a used trike from a garage sale with ALOT of rust and I used a cheap donar Mountain bike for the gearing upgrades. Used Trailer from Goodwill converted for hauling kayak etc...
https://goo.gl/photos/u7i9WVPfYs4BT8tA6
https://goo.gl/photos/cKAmy4Vg7ZE3Duvx7

https://goo.gl/photos/HNErv3TeyEyDMaFg9
https://goo.gl/photos/hmPYQoiNnSxfq2rN6
Mark 5
https://goo.gl/photos/sSznqEvDreL1M3pR6

Pic of Mark 4 (Currently configured  mark 6 and making plans for a mark 7)

https://goo.gl/photos/Ty6nnq3tuWdLMana8
Reading your posts about the rear wheel hub, I am wondering if it might be related to my problem. Last month I bought the Schwinn Meridian trike that I ride around here in Sarasota. However, it makes a clunking noise in the rear train on the right side. The faster I pedal, the faster is the clicking/clunking noise. Some has suggested that it is a problem with the bearings, others have said maybe the rear brake. Being a woman of 78 and not knowledgeable about bearings and brakes (idem for my husband), I am thinking to hire a truck and take it to a repair shop.

Question: is there any particular bike repair shops you recommend around the Sarasota/Bradenton area?

Is there something simple I can do with pictures to test whether the rear brake attachment or the bearing is the problem?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
(07-30-2020, 10:46 AM)Carole Warner Wrote:  Reading your posts about the rear wheel hub, I am wondering if it might be related to my problem. Last month I bought the Schwinn Meridian trike that I ride around here in Sarasota. However, it makes a clunking noise in the rear train on the right side. The faster I pedal, the faster is the clicking/clunking noise. Some has suggested that it is a problem with the bearings, others have said maybe the rear brake. Being a woman of 78 and not knowledgeable about bearings and brakes (idem for my husband), I am thinking to hire a truck and take it to a repair shop.

Question: is there any particular bike repair shops you recommend around the Sarasota/Bradenton area?

Is there something simple I can do with pictures to test whether the rear brake attachment or the bearing is the problem?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

hi Carole!
I remember someone from Sarasota joining the forum a few weeks ago.

@Taylor Alcorn do you know any good bike shops around Sarasota?
(12-02-2016, 10:00 AM)Slipinn Wrote:  

Chuck

Hey Chuck

Thank you
Chuck

This message is for Bruce in Bradenton, close to Cortez. I am in the process of building a two seat trike. As I was looking for some parts, I ran into this dialog between Bruce and Chuck. You mentioned that you converted your old Schwinn Meridian to an eighteen speed. I have an older Meridian and tried to convert to multi speed, but could not get the project off the ground. Thus the making a trike myself. That project is going great, but I started thinking about reviving the Meridian project. Hopefully you can help me with some ideas and sources as to how to do this. Your help in this matter would be much appreciated. I see where you posted some pics, but only the ones with your kayak were available. Great job by the way. Can you resend the pics also.
(09-15-2016, 07:31 AM)Slipinn Wrote:  Here are some pics of my Meridian drive train. It was a used trike from a garage sale with ALOT of rust and I used a cheap donar Mountain bike for the gearing upgrades. Used Trailer from Goodwill converted for hauling kayak etc...
https://goo.gl/photos/u7i9WVPfYs4BT8tA6
https://goo.gl/photos/cKAmy4Vg7ZE3Duvx7

https://goo.gl/photos/HNErv3TeyEyDMaFg9
https://goo.gl/photos/hmPYQoiNnSxfq2rN6
Mark 5
https://goo.gl/photos/sSznqEvDreL1M3pR6

Pic of Mark 4 (Currently configured  mark 6 and making plans for a mark 7)

https://goo.gl/photos/Ty6nnq3tuWdLMana8

The pictures of your Drive Train are no longer valid. The trailer pics on the other hand look great.

I have a Schwinn Meridian myself which I have added a 36v 800w front wheel in hub motor. I have have considered converting it to a multi-speed peedle. I am very interested in what you did to convert yours. I've also have rigged a trailer for mine, though I use mine for grocery shopping, or hauling the fur babies to their vet.
Schwinn Meridian Trike
36v 800w Electric Front Hub

Chuck

Hey Chuck

I know this is a very old post but I would love to see a new thread describing the process of converting the Schwinn Meridian to 18 speeds!

Possibly Related Threads...