Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Riding a Charity ride without paying??'s
Hey Guys,
I enjoy riding my bikes anywhere and everywhere I can, just like you guys, I'm sure yall do too. My question is that there seems to be pay rides all the time, but not much non pay rides. Why do people pay good money to do this? We can ride the roads, anytime and everywhere, without having to pay a fee to ride them. I know, most pay rides have support and sag vehicles, but I don't need it. I bring mostly what I need to repair problems and to eat and drink. Plus, there are usually stores along a route to refill water bottles, etc.
I have done plenty of centuries and ride just about every day I can. I relize that the bicycle is a very reliable means of transportation. Why do people pay good money to ride? Sure, it's nice to ride with other people. I enjoy this too, but must we pay to do that? A $40.00-$50.00 entry fee is crazy. I don't mind paying something, but those rates are too high... That's a tire that I might need on one of my bikes. I know, "Pay to Play", but I'm already having to do that with the bicycles and keeping them going. Maybe I'm just cheap, but I want to ride, and I like to ride, and that was kinda the reason I started riding again...it's cheap transportation with good benefits to your body(exercise). It's no wonder that most people in America are obese and we have the highest rate of Diabetes and Heart disease.
My local bike shops are charging people fees to be a member, so you can see the rides and times of local rides. If people don't pay the fee and don't become a member, then they don't ride. Didn't use to be this way, but this is what they are doing now. It doesn't help that the bike shops are all owned by one guy, his wife and his sons are running the other two(three bike shops in my city). They have no competition and run the city and the people the way they want too(corruption). They(bike shop owner, wife and son's) are real religious and really pour this on in front of everybody, but lie with just about every sentence that comes out of their mouths. They are Total Hypocrites !!!
Just Want to Ride...and not have to Pay for it !!!!!  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post