Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano Altus replacement
I have Shimano Altus BR-CT90-M V-brakes on my bike. I went through the v-brake tutorial to adjust them and found that the cheap plastic piece that the spring goes into is cracked on all 4 brake arms. I can buy all new Altus replacements for less than $10, however I don't want to replace it with something that will just break again. For now I've just epoxied the plastic rings back together.
Can anyone suggest a good set of replacement v-brakes that don't use cheap plastic like the current ones do? I'd also like to the budget low on them. I only use the bike occasionally for grocery shopping etc.

I'd recommend these Shimano Deore V-brakes. They are inexpensive, sturdy and durable.
G'day
If you go to the Deore V-brakes would titlek have to replace the levers as well? I have/had Tektro Mini V-Brakes on my <a href="http://www.aushiker.com/2007/11/chases-new-mods/">Giant CRX 1</a> and replaced the front brake mech with a Deore V-Brake but kept the Tektro levers. There is a different feel for sure and I am still not 100% that it was the right move as the braking is not as definitive as before.
Regards<br />
Andrew

Aushiker.com
@Aushiker on Twitter

A broken clock is correct twice a day
I guess it depends on the levers. Technically, all v-brake levers should work with any v-brake calipers, but better quality levers can make a big difference.

Well I'm an idiot. My Shimano Altus brakes are not direct pull V brakes but they are center pull cantilever brakes. However I bought a pair of the Deore's as recommended.
I have read that it is not good to mix and match center pull cantilever levers with linear pull v-brakes. So I guess that means I should now replace my levers. On top of that my cable routing doesn't seem to work for the V brakes. I'm not sure how to fix that problem. This is going to cost me more than I had planned...

You will need new levers to go with v-brakes, as v-brake levers need to pull more cable. As for cable routing, you should be able to ignore the old cable mounts as v-brakes require full cable housing all the way from the lever to the rounded L shaped noodle at the brake.

I had the same problem with those plastic covers for the return spring...they cracked.
1- I glued them with Loctite super glue
2- Installed a retaining ring that fit snugly around the plastic ring.
3- Wrapped the retaining ring and the outter edge of the plastic ring with epoxy...shape it to look neat.
Done.

And remember to Buy American.
[attachment=2767]
[attachment=2766]
[attachment=2765]
[attachment=2764]
[attachment=2763]

Possibly Related Threads...