Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How to apply restore stickers and decals?
I am in the process of getting one of my bikes restored. I have everything I need to get it set back up right (brakes, gears, reflectors,etc.) but I need to know how to apply make and model stickers and decals. If anyone has done this before, can they PLEASE guide me on doing it, as I've never done this before. Thanks!
(07-06-2017, 06:40 PM)roadmountainlover099 Wrote:  I am in the process of getting one of my bikes restored. I have everything I need to get it set back up right (brakes, gears, reflectors, etc.) but I need to know how to apply make and model stickers and decals. If anyone has done this before, can they PLEASE guide me on doing it, as I've never done this before. Thanks!

I tried to use vinyl heat press combo but couldn't get it to work. The italicized words aggravate the situation. Also, I've noticed that when skewing an image, the proportions of the entire image tend to go out of whack. Do you have any suggestions for how to deal with this? Is it necessary to divide the image into separate alphabets?

On Google, I found some that looked similar, but the logos were newer designs with different fonts. I looked for this font but couldn't find anything.
Life is a Gift
(07-06-2021, 09:28 PM)FitEyes Wrote:  
(07-06-2017, 06:40 PM)roadmountainlover099 Wrote:  I am in the process of getting one of my bikes restored. I have everything I need to get it set back up right (brakes, gears, reflectors, etc.) but I need to know how to apply make and model stickers and decals. If anyone has done this before, can they PLEASE guide me on doing it, as I've never done this before. Thanks!

I tried to use vinyl heat press combo but couldn't get it to work. The italicized words aggravate the situation. Also, I've noticed that when skewing an image, the proportions of the entire image tend to go out of whack. Do you have any suggestions for how to deal with this? Is it necessary to divide the image into separate alphabets?

On Google, I found some that looked similar, but the logos were newer designs with different fonts. I looked for this font but couldn't find anything.

Are you trying to find model and year accurate decals? There are a few sellers that make them (not just sell them), and many will custom make you decals based on the images you give them if another quality example cannot be found. I have also contacted some makers trying to find out the history of my bikes and I was able to get decals direct from the maker (if available). Provide a measurement scale for sizing reference if sending photos for manufacture of your decals.
As far as the application/installation; you should go by the manufacturers directions. I have tried different methods on some types (often dealing with old OE decals of dubious quality due to age/storage, etc.), but generally the directions given for that particular set of decals will provide the best results. If no directions are provided contact the seller/manufacturer if possible. They want their products utilized properly for a good outcome and as a reflection on the quality of their products so it doesn't help when folks are paying good money only to screw the installation process and be irritated thinking the product was at fault and not the method(s) used.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Very interested in this as well.

I haven't been able to find some of the stickers I'm looking for (mostly older GT ones).

I have seen videos on YouTube. It appears as though they are applied like a regular sticker right over fresh, dried paint

As far as getting the centering right and everything, it all rides on manual talent. You have to wing it for yourself.
(07-09-2021, 05:38 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Very interested in this as well.

I haven't been able to find some of the stickers I'm looking for (mostly older GT ones).

I have seen videos on YouTube. It appears as though they are applied like a regular sticker right over fresh, dried paint

As far as getting the centering right and everything, it all rides on manual talent. You have to wing it for yourself.

There are still a lot of water transfer style decals that take some patience, and preferably practice. Remember making models as a kid (or adult); I was always happy that extra decals were usually provided due to screwing them up regularly. I thought I saw some decent GT decals on ebay, but I would think that you might be able to get some direct from GT depending on how old the bike is. I'll need some for a late 90s GT Pro team road bike, but custom for the Saturn race team so I'll probably need them custom made.

By the way "Reap", thanks for your comments; always good to get different opinions and experience from the masses.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

11-24-2009, 03:36 PM