Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
New 3 speed hub with coaster brake: brake squeals and sticks
I recently purchased a used (nearly new) Sun Traditional adult Tricycle, 2016  model, and attempted to add on a brand new 3 speed conversion kit purchased through Amazon. The kit is made by Sturmey Archer, and intended for Sun trikes like mine from 2015 and newer.

As far as I can tell, I've installed the hub correctly. It shifts smoothly and runs well.

However, the coaster brake makes a weird squealing noise when applied, and often sticks a bit.

Here is a link to a short video, shot through the rear basket. First i cycle through all gears, then demonstrate the weird noise it makes when the brake is applied. Higher speed = louder noise, and more sticking when I resume pedaling.  

https://youtu.be/kRiYaPo6F_0

It does not make the noise when I test the hub and brake by lifting the rear wheel and turn the pedals with the other hand, but only when I ride. Fwiw, I'm a thin person,  and the trike fits me just fine, so I'm not "overstressing" the brake with my own weight.

Does anyone have any idea if this could be a defective hub, or if I've made an installation error? I'm hoping to avoid visiting the local bike shop, in order to save some money, but will do so if needed.

I certainly appreciate any help offered.

Thanks!
Laura
(08-01-2017, 04:14 PM)unusualhuman Wrote:  I recently purchased a used (nearly new) Sun Traditional adult Tricycle, 2016  model, and attempted to add on a brand new 3 speed conversion kit purchased through Amazon. The kit is made by Sturmey Archer, and intended for Sun trikes like mine from 2015 and newer.

As far as I can tell, I've installed the hub correctly. It shifts smoothly and runs well.

However, the coaster brake makes a weird squealing noise when applied, and often sticks a bit.

Here is a link to a short video, shot through the rear basket. First i cycle through all gears, then demonstrate the weird noise it makes when the brake is applied. Higher speed = louder noise, and more sticking when I resume pedaling.  
https://hghreviewer.com/

It does not make the noise when I test the hub and brake by lifting the rear wheel and turn the pedals with the other hand, but only when I ride. Fwiw, I'm a thin person,  and the trike fits me just fine, so I'm not "overstressing" the brake with my own weight.

Does anyone have any idea if this could be a defective hub, or if I've made an installation error? I'm hoping to avoid visiting the local bike shop, in order to save some money, but will do so if needed.

I certainly appreciate any help offered.

Thanks!
Laura

Nice kit, have u made it by your self ? Or u just bought it ?!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strange Brake Wear? garrett01 0 1,324 08-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Last Post: garrett01
  Brake boss sizes??? RustyChayne 5 2,294 05-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Magura Clara disc brake spongy after bleeding... Videos showing piston action rhubear 1 2,624 05-12-2017, 06:31 AM
Last Post: rhubear
  Disc Brake levers assembly onto a flat bar Davefa 2 4,894 12-09-2016, 02:27 AM
Last Post: Davefa
  Tektro brake leak mmbrajohan 2 4,533 10-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Weird noise on Coaster Breaks Cruiser Bike YoungPup 2 3,548 07-27-2015, 02:39 AM
Last Post: elmore leonard
  Brake cable loose from barrel adjuster knl 0 3,569 07-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Last Post: knl
  Fixing Stetched Brake Cable Kteach 2 3,834 07-12-2015, 02:28 AM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Help with brake pads pedroukukuk 2 3,406 07-03-2015, 06:09 AM
Last Post: pedroukukuk
  Difference between disc brake pads? ibie1983 3 4,324 06-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Last Post: eastman