Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Chain link removal and repair
Hi. I am new to this forum and not a biker. I am 60 years old. Somebody gave me a mountain bike although it looks big for a mountain bike it has 9*3 gears. The chain snapped and in desperation I went to a you tube forum to see how to repair it. I bought a chain link extractor.

[Image: ChainLinkRemover.jpg]

The extractor was difficult to turn and the chain didn't sit comfortably in the device. The result is a knacked tool that appears to be cross threaded. and having removed 2 links and made the join it broke again.

Can't afford bike shop repair charges and would like to attempt this myself.
I live in the UK and the bike is a mountain bike. Pretty common here. How many sizes of chains are there?
(08-06-2017, 08:55 AM)Desmond Wrote:  I live in the UK and the bike is a mountain bike. Pretty common here. How many sizes of chains are there?
Single speed chain is one size. different link length
5 thru 8 basically same size
9 speed chain is narrower
10 speed chain is narrower still
11 speed repeat

11 is generally backwards compatible to 9.
Quik links are made for each size, not cross compatible. make things much easier.
sorry you broke your tool. Old chains can be hard to break, a good tool is essential.
My bike has 9 cogs on back wheel and 3 in centre of bike so that would be 27 speeds.

I also realised that the chain does not fit comfortably in the link extracting tool. This could be because the chain is old and has stretched or is it the wrong one for my chain. Have a look at the picture.
I have seen this on ebay but would it work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-HG53-9-Speed-Deore-Tiagra-MTB-MTN-Road-Bike-Chain-CNHG53-/291998258989?var=&hash=item43fc73d72d:m:mfQjLywDA1izij-_5G42ApQ