Show off your bike!

Can't shift highest and lower gear

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
rabany Offline

Sydney Australia
Can't shift highest and lower gear
Hi, I have problem with my rear derailleur.
I just build bike with groupset shimano 105 5700(with new cable). the problem is rear derailleur cant move from hardest gear(smallest gear) to second gear. but if I shifting from hardest to easy gears like 2 or 3 click time the chain just start move to second gear.
if I shifting again to the next gear until 10 shifting click, the chain just stop on the 9th gear. can't move to hardest gear(10th gear).

and if I shifting going back to the hardest gear/smallest gear, they will stop at second gear(2nd of smallest gear).

does anybody know what's actually happened in this problem?
sorry if my words are hard to understand.
thanks
Jun 8, 2014 04:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
RE: Can't shift highest and lower gear
(Jun 8, 2014 04:40 AM)rabany Wrote:  Hi, I have problem with my rear derailleur.
I just build bike with groupset shimano 105 5700(with new cable). the problem is rear derailleur cant move from hardest gear(smallest gear) to second gear. but if I shifting from hardest to easy gears like 2 or 3 click time the chain just start move to second gear.
if I shifting again to the next gear until 10 shifting click, the chain just stop on the 9th gear. can't move to hardest gear(10th gear).

and if I shifting going back to the hardest gear/smallest gear, they will stop at second gear(2nd of smallest gear).

thanks

sounds like your H/L limit screws are not set proper, and your cable tension is not correct. Also check for binding with your cable/housing.

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Jun 8, 2014 06:43 AM
cny-man Offline

Syracuse, NY
You have more than one problem, and you need to follow the correct procedure for installation and adjustment. Installing and adjusting a drive train is not a matter of just attaching things. Videos here are supposed to be good, but I always recommend reading and understanding written procedures first. Google "install rear derailleur" do the same search for "shift cable" instead, and you can also try 'adjust" instead of "install." The parktool.com/blog and sheldonbrown.com results are usually the most accurate and helpful.

If the derailleur can get to the large/small cogs at all the problem is not primarily the limit screws. Cables seat in after the 1st few shifts, so that the cable is slack until you shift a few clicks - so likely the cable needs to be retightened, then the derailleur adjusted. A spring in the derailleur must pull the cable through the housing to allow the shift to the small cog, so if it is slow or stubborn getting there you probably have too much friction in the cable/housing - multiple causes - kinks, poor cutting of the ends, no ferrules, poor housing length, etc.
Jun 8, 2014 07:07 AM
rabany Offline

Sydney Australia
(Jun 8, 2014 07:07 AM)cny-man Wrote:  You have more than one problem, and you need to follow the correct procedure for installation and adjustment. Installing and adjusting a drive train is not a matter of just attaching things. Videos here are supposed to be good, but I always recommend reading and understanding written procedures first. Google "install rear derailleur" do the same search for "shift cable" instead, and you can also try 'adjust" instead of "install." The parktool.com/blog and sheldonbrown.com results are usually the most accurate and helpful.

If the derailleur can get to the large/small cogs at all the problem is not primarily the limit screws. Cables seat in after the 1st few shifts, so that the cable is slack until you shift a few clicks - so likely the cable needs to be retightened, then the derailleur adjusted. A spring in the derailleur must pull the cable through the housing to allow the shift to the small cog, so if it is slow or stubborn getting there you probably have too much friction in the cable/housing - multiple causes - kinks, poor cutting of the ends, no ferrules, poor housing length, etc.

thanks alot dude. I appreciate it. might be my outer cable ends is not cut properly.
(Jun 8, 2014 06:43 AM)painkiller Wrote:  
(Jun 8, 2014 04:40 AM)rabany Wrote:  Hi, I have problem with my rear derailleur.

thanks

sounds like your H/L limit screws are not set proper, and your cable tension is not correct. Also check for binding with your cable/housing.

thanks alot dude, might be the problem is the outer cable ends is not cut properly.
Jun 10, 2014 03:12 AM
DrSean Offline

(Jun 10, 2014 03:12 AM)rabany Wrote:  
(Jun 8, 2014 07:07 AM)cny-man Wrote:  You have more than one problem, and you need to follow the correct procedure for installation and adjustment. Installing and adjusting a drive train is not a matter of just attaching things. Videos here are supposed to be good, but I always recommend reading and understanding written procedures first. Google "install rear derailleur" do the same search for "shift cable" instead, and you can also try 'adjust" instead of "install." The parktool.com/blog and sheldonbrown.com results are usually the most accurate and helpful.

thanks alot dude. I appreciate it. might be my outer cable ends is not cut properly.
(Jun 8, 2014 06:43 AM)painkiller Wrote:  

thanks

thanks alot dude, might be the problem is the outer cable ends is not cut properly.

make sure to change only one thing at a time. outer cable end length is most irrelevant if it attaches adequately to the RDR tension screw.
set limit screws (front, then rear), then test. if still a problem, then work on cable tension with the barrel adjuster or by manually adding more tension on the cable itself.
Jun 12, 2014 02:18 PM
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
Thanks for your input Sean. people for the most part do not realize that cutting a housing is not a true finish to the housing. I find that a cut-off wheel with a square cut thru the housing does a great job. the type from a Dremmel type tool is great!

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Jun 12, 2014 02:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I can only use the highest 5 gears on my 8spd rear cog bianchi29er 21 8,542 Yesterday 02:35 AM
Last Post: wikey
  Rear derailer refuses to travel from top to low gear bike adventurers 6 250 Aug 28, 2014 11:07 AM
Last Post: bike adventurers
  Gear shift lever replacement. packman126 2 251 Aug 22, 2014 05:20 PM
Last Post: packman126
  Shimano revo shift issue poppajeff 6 3,577 Aug 17, 2014 05:29 AM
Last Post: george@georgespeller.com
  Front gear goes down but going up is problem tapash 6 801 Jul 30, 2014 10:03 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  Newer Mountain Bike Gear Skipping and/or not catching Prosercunus 1 590 Jul 28, 2014 03:18 PM
  Takes ages to shift up a gear jrstevenson1987 3 817 Jul 20, 2014 07:26 PM
  Rear and front derailleurs won't shift tsila060 5 1,247 Jul 19, 2014 12:34 PM
Last Post: tsila060
  Shifter moves all the way to high gear by itself juxpin 2 605 Jul 16, 2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  What gear shifter for my bike?-Sturmey Archer photos jonas12 1 633 Jul 6, 2014 11:51 AM
Last Post: nfmisso