Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Is it possible to upgrade an 18 speed to a 24 speed?
I want to modify my 3x6=18 gear arrangement (it's currently set to, rear:14-28, front: 28-44). Is it anyhow possible to upgrade it to a 8x3? (the rear cassette to: 11-32)
Do I have to change all the gear equipment, or some part of it (and which parts), or is it altogether impossible?
(regards)

For that you'd have to change quite a few parts...
1. Shifters<br />
2. Both Derailleurs<br />
3. Front Crankset/Chainrings (and possibly bottom bracket)<br />
4. Rear Hub (from freewheel to freehub body)<br />
5. Rear Cassette<br />
6. Chain

Hmm, that turns out to be a considerable effort,
Let me try one more easy option: continuing with the 18 speed arrangement, and only changing number 3 on the list:
3. Front Crankset/Chainrings (and possibly bottom bracket).
...to some arrangement like 24-38-52.
Now, what do you think? Is this possible? Is this kind of crankset available, and would I have to change the derailleur anyway? and also is it convenient?
Thanks a lot in advance, you're doing an admirable job here.

You could change the front crankset, but you will likely have to change the front derailleur, front shifter, and bottom bracket.

It appears you're trying to get to a wider gear range. The cheapest option is to try to find a 6 speed freewheel with a wider range like 12-30, etc. Won't be too common, but there may be something out there. You might be able to fit a 7 speed freewheel onto your bike without major adjustment, but if you have index shifting, you would need a new shifter, and there might be issues of clearance in the frame/wheel.
If you crankset has the chainrings bolted on, you may be able to purchase individual chainrings and change your range that way. But if it is welded you're out of luck. And, as mentioned above, change the range too much, and you may need to change shifters and derailleurs as well to keep any kind of decent shifting performance. Good luck

so, as a conclusion, for we have one:
after considering a series of cheaper alternatives (6 or 7 speed freewheel with a wider range like 12-30 was apparently impossible to find in Turkey, and it was quite expensive to get it shipped from, say, UK) i've finally changed almost everything and upgraded to a 8x3. that's 11-30 and 24-42.. so i've got what i wanted all too well, but it happened to be much more expensive than i had expected.. now i have an almost new bike.. and that feels fine.

Possibly Related Threads...