Show off your bike!

Help a total bike dummy fix her bike!

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
erinelizabeth882 Offline

Help a total bike dummy fix her bike!
Hello!

I have a second hand, 18-speed, index shifting bike that I use for getting back and forth to school and running some errands. I've been having trouble shifting gears on it. The right gear shifter works fine, but the left one is struggling. When I twist the shifter into a new gear, the actual gear doesn't change. It will however randomly clunk into a new gear when I'm riding and haven't recently changed gears.

I've attached a photo showing the back gears. Let me know if something different would be more helpful!

I really now nothing about bikes except for how to ride mine around town, so any gentle advice with lots of layman's terms would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
Erin

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Jul 5, 2014 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
RE: Help a total bike dummy fix her bike!
Is this a mirror image? I have not seen a derailleur equipped bicycle with the chain on the left side.

The problem sounds like the shifter cable need adjustment. Typically there is a barrel adjuster on the shifter to take care of this. If there is not enough travel left, it will require screwing the adjuster all the way in, then pulling a bit of cable thru on the front derailleur.

See: How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur above.

Nigel
Jul 5, 2014 10:32 PM
DaveM Offline
Veteran Member

A little hard to see in the photo. But the front derailleur either looks bent to me or maybe it is the wrong style for this bike. Either might explain the shifting problems. Was it working ok before and then got bad? Or was it always bad? Any crashes or impacts? A better phone of the crank area would help.
Jul 6, 2014 03:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
erinelizabeth882 Offline

I will try to get a better photo today. it's actually my boyfriend's that I am using right now. It's been away in storage since November and I'm just using it now. I asked him and it sounds like there had been some problems with the gear shifting before. I'm actually planning on getting my own bike when finances allow, but until then, thought I'd try to make this one work for me.
Jul 6, 2014 12:26 PM
cny-man Offline

Syracuse, NY
I agree that the front derailleur does seem to not be correctly aligned, but you could have more than one problem. If the derailleur shifting late is when you are going down to a smaller chainring (front gears, rotating the shifter forward) then the cable is not moving smoothly due to lack of lubrication, rust or a kink. If you have a bike co-op locally they can probably help.
Jul 6, 2014 03:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Road bike gears not shifting at all tornviper 2 766 Aug 24, 2014 12:23 PM
Last Post: tornviper
  Newer Mountain Bike Gear Skipping and/or not catching Prosercunus 1 991 Jul 28, 2014 03:18 PM
Last Post: cny-man
  What gear shifter for my bike?-Sturmey Archer photos jonas12 1 890 Jul 6, 2014 11:51 AM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Barrell adjuster not working on new bike 50000tears 7 2,603 Oct 20, 2013 12:12 PM
Last Post: 50000tears
  Dunlop mountain bike gear shifter gregoire 6 2,600 Oct 18, 2013 10:32 AM
Last Post: bobtravers
  Old bike cant climb hills or shift cedge3 1 1,261 Oct 5, 2013 08:29 PM
Last Post: DaveM
  Grip shift gear on kids bike difficult to turn lunerfish 15 42,022 Feb 23, 2013 09:18 PM
Last Post: adarsh
  New bike help!! gagallagher04401 1 1,841 Jul 8, 2012 07:05 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Bike won't shift gears at all, please help! Humblebug 4 27,913 Jun 17, 2012 11:20 PM
Last Post: Joe_W
  Just bought a new bike... issue with derailleurs. Lemonwizard 4 4,119 Aug 20, 2011 03:17 PM
Last Post: Lemonwizard