Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New wheels on a older frame
I have a 1991 Trek aluminium frame with 126mm rear drop out spacing. From what I know... new wheels come as 130mm wide. I need new wheels. What long term effect will using the wider wheel have on my frame.
In addition. My bike had a 7 speed freewheel. If I get a shimano hub on a new wheel and then find a 7 speed cassette with similar gearing...will that be compatable with the spacing on the hub and also with my derailer? (have Suntour Edge 4050 components). In general what issues occur from this situation?

Your frame should handle the 4mm stretch without any problem. As for installing the cassette, I think all you'll have to do is <a href="http://bikeride.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/">adjust your rear derailleur</a> after you install the new hub/cassette combo. Let me know if you run into any problems.

Sweet.
So when I find a wheel I like and it does not specify a "hub size", is it assumed that the hub is for a 8/9 speed set-up? There seems to be a major lack of information from distributors over the dimesions and compatability of what is being sold. Will a new 7 speed cassette fit ok or will I need spacers? It is wierd to me that some websites state that a wheel is specifically for a 8/9 speed or for 10 speed only...but other sites don't mention anything about it at all?

7 speed cassettes fit on 7 speed freehub bodies, and do not fit on 8/9 speed freehubs. You can <a href="http://bikeride.com/freehub-body/">change the freehub body</a> but you may have to adjust the cones on either side, and sometimes adjust the dish of the wheel. Sheldon posted some more info <a href="http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7">here</a> that you may find helpful.

What about on an even older bike like my 1993 Myiata bike with a 120 mm dropout. It has a free wheel hub on it. Is it even worth the time or the aggravation to change it to a freehub? What can I do in order to get more riding time and speed out of my bike? Please tell me that I'm not screwed. My girlfriend bought it for me for my 30th birthday and it would really kill me and her to have to get rid of the bike frame. What options do I have realistically in order to change rims/hubs?

What kind of 'riding time and speed' are you hoping to achieve that you're not already getting with your current setup? It might not be worth changing depending on what you want to get out of the change.

I'm riding about 12 miles a day (12 miles/20 min). I love riding and want to see how fast I can go (more time/distance = more joy)! I am currently riding with Araya 27 X 1 1/4 in tires. I bought a wheel set off this guy on Craig's List for $40 (it's a Mavic Open 4 CD) and noticed that I love the lightness and speed. Come to find out that the hub is completely shot, rim is bent, and since the rim was a freehub, I was screwed. A friend is willing to give me a pair of his old rims for free but I want to know if it's worth it and what I should do. Also, I am looking at the videos and wondering if my riding will demand the maintenance required?
I'm sorry for the long response....too much to learn with too little time.

I your old wheels are shot and your friend has free wheels for you, it sounds like it'll be worth replacing them. And if you're riding 12 miles per day I'd certainly recommend maintaining your bike. Giving your bike a <a href="http://bikeride.com/tune-up/">tune up</a> every few months will help keep it running smooth and give you a chance to check for wear.

So it'll be worth the time to find a freewheel hub or a freehub for the rims and completely build it from scratch? Also found out that the frame is a Miyata 110 model...Not that great but I'm loving it. Thanks for your help....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-05-2020, 05:39 PM
Last Post: CharleyFarley

07-24-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Joe_W

05-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Last Post: hoss58