Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Road bike gears not shifting at all

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
tornviper Offline

Road bike gears not shifting at all
So I took my bike out for a ride and neither of the gears seem to shift, pressing the shift bottom (sorry dont know the name for it) next to the brakes doesnt do anything, no clicks or sounds, nothing happens.

I have no clue whats wrong with it so please help me, I'll upload more pictures if needed and do any tests

here are some pictures

[Image: pt53f8c1ec.jpg][Image: ch53f8c1eb.jpg]
[Image: fz53f8c1ec.jpg]
I hope you guys can see those tiny pictures! *sarcasm*

I'm so sorry I dont know why the pics came out so massive!
Aug 23, 2014 09:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
RE: Road bike gears not shifting at all
it looks to me like you are running the 2300 series road group. My guess is the bike is around 8yrs old.
Need more info as you make it sound like one it worked and then the next ride it did not. Both shifters @ the same time? I think the bike may have been sitting awhile. assuming it has, or not. disconnect the cables, slide the housing back and forth and lube the cables, hang the bike from the rear wheels and spray some triFlow in the shifters mech, pull the cable by hand and start shifting the shifters around til they free up and start clicking again. It sounds like the original grease has hardened and the springs and pawls are locked up. I say hang the bike to help keep the oil off of your bar tape. If this works, connect your cables and re-tune.

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Aug 24, 2014 08:15 AM
tornviper Offline

RE: Road bike gears not shifting at all
(Aug 24, 2014 08:15 AM)painkiller Wrote:  it looks to me like you are running the 2300 series road group. My guess is the bike is around 8yrs old.
Need more info as you make it sound like one it worked and then the next ride it did not. Both shifters @ the same time? I think the bike may have been sitting awhile. assuming it has, or not. disconnect the cables, slide the housing back and forth and lube the cables, hang the bike from the rear wheels and spray some triFlow in the shifters mech, pull the cable by hand and start shifting the shifters around til they free up and start clicking again. It sounds like the original grease has hardened and the springs and pawls are locked up. I say hang the bike to help keep the oil off of your bar tape. If this works, connect your cables and re-tune.

The bike has been sitting for 1.5 years.

I took it out and I shifted the back gear once and then it stopped shifting, I tried to shift the front gear and that didnt work at all.

I think you are correct here, I will try and get back to you

thanks
Aug 24, 2014 12:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is wrong with my bike's gear shifting? Marlogism 1 229 Sep 28, 2014 07:49 PM
Last Post: cny-man
  Front Derailleur problem/whole shifting system benonidoni1 9 596 Sep 7, 2014 07:19 PM
  I can only use the highest 5 gears on my 8spd rear cog bianchi29er 21 9,460 Sep 1, 2014 02:35 AM
Last Post: wikey
  Shifting is almost impossible Pixelshot 13 10,089 Aug 19, 2014 09:19 PM
Last Post: Blogengeezer
  Newer Mountain Bike Gear Skipping and/or not catching Prosercunus 1 755 Jul 28, 2014 03:18 PM
  Frustrating issue with rear gears crot4lus 4 1,069 Jul 9, 2014 12:57 AM
Last Post: crot4lus
  Help a total bike dummy fix her bike! erinelizabeth882 4 1,342 Jul 6, 2014 03:23 PM
  What gear shifter for my bike?-Sturmey Archer photos jonas12 1 772 Jul 6, 2014 11:51 AM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Front derailleur not shifting properly srixon 10 40,389 Jun 17, 2014 07:39 PM
Last Post: Palash
  Not shifting into certain rears!!! kate.swisher98 2 982 Jun 4, 2014 09:06 PM